B - School application help - 690 GMAT

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

B - School application help - 690 GMAT

by zohairhassan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 pm
Hey Guys,

I am applying to B-School starting this October. Was going through the Beat the Gmat forums and thought I would seek you for advice. Following is my profile; it would be great if you could help me out.

GMAT: 690 (1st attempt)
GPA: 2.81

Work Experience: Maersk Line (Feb 2011 - present)
Assistant Manager - Customer Services
Certified Green Belt (Six Sigma)

Extra Curricular: I run a Not for Profit Athletics School providing free of cost athletics training in Karachi. We have daily practices and yearly summer camps for children up to the age of 18. We also facilitate events for organizations and schools

I also coach Pakistan team for the street child world cup

Following are the schools I have chosen for my apps. Kindly advise if you think that my profile is good enough to get admission.

1) Ross or Tuck (To pick 1 dream school)
2) Carnegie Mellon - Tepper
3) Georgetwon - Mcdonough
4) Notre Dame - Mendoza
5) Boston University
6) Uni British Columbia - Sauder
7) Indiana - Kelley

I have been advised that USC - Marshall is good with aid.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Zohair Hassan

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:52 pm
Hey there,

Your professional experience is light in terms of both tenure and impact. Your GPA is a red flag for sure but I'm not sure if you estimated that when you tried to convert it to the US system? Your GMAT is fairly decent and your extracurricular activity has both scope and impact so that's great.

Overall, yes. You're stretching pretty significantly at Ross and even Tepper is a stretch. But I think you should try! As you go down the rankings obviously your chances improve. However, if you're looking for schools where you could get a scholarship, you're looking too high with 1, 2, 3, and 7. Also, I'm not sure what you're looking to do after your MBA but for an international applicant out of Pakistan, I would remove Sauder. The Canadian economy is going to be difficult for you to break into.

I'm taking your list of schools at face value since you've already picked them but I don't know why you've chosen them.

Overall, it isn't an unrealistic list and it's, for the most part, aligned with your profile.

I hope that helps and if you have any questions, let me know!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by zohairhassan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:06 am
Hello Bhavik,

Thanks a lot for your response. I am looking for schools from where I can kick start a career in Social Entrepreneurship. That is precisely the reason why I am running the non profit school for athletics. I want to broaden my scope of social impact. And my career shift is aimed at consultancy for organizations with social impact.

Two schools Ross and Mendoza are in my list because they are rated highly on Net Impact and Beyond Grey Pin Stripes. These are two important indicators for schools with MBA offering social entrepreneurship as part of their curriculum and extracurriculars.

As far as my work experience is concerned I have 7 months experience prior to Maersk as well. And following are other achievements at my work place:

- Six sigma project with annual savings of $ 450,000
- Member talent team (future leadership propgram) Working on 2 projects related to Strategy Roll outs and Communication
- Key account manager for top ten cluster customers in Pakistan
- Initiated Visual Management System for Pakistan cluster

AS for my athletics school, I have done following things

- Daily athletics training
- Annual Summer camp targeting around 80 athletes
- First Sports Day for an underprivileged school in Karachi
- Collaboration with another NGO to train Pakistan team for Street Child World Cup

Keeping in mind my profile and aims can you advice any other schools for my application.

Will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Zohair Hassan

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:44 am
Hey, how about Yale then? It's the top ranked program for non profit management!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by zohairhassan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:08 am
Dont you think Yale would be a little more out of my league. I am eyeing for some scholarships and I am also willing to take loans for the MBA in the states.

can you tell me any realistic schools ?

Zohair

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:12 am
Hey Zohair,

Yale is on the same level as Ross and ranked below Tuck. So if you're applying to Ross, Tuck, and Tepper, Yale isn't much different. Besides, given their strength in that particular field, your story would resonate a little bit stronger there anyway.

Besides, you have some realistic schools already listed below so if your goals are what you stated, you should definitely at least try for some higher ranked programs such as Yale, right?

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 pm
I'm going to agree with Critical Square on this one... if you're targeting those other schools and what you really want to do is Social Entrepreneurship then Yale SHOULD be on your list of schools TO AT LEAST LOOK IN TO. Don't think about whether or not you can get in... why would you take yourself out of the process before you even try? Let the schools take you out of the process... don't do it yourself. This is something that a lot of applicants do who may surprise themselves.

I'm not saying that you should definitely apply there but again... look in to the school.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by magistr.asd » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:09 am
Без по�тинга

by zohairhassan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:58 am
Hello Money 9111

Thanks a lot for the advice and ego boost for application. Over the past week I have researched more on the universities and have looked into the following rankings:

- Beyond Grey Pinstripes
- Net Impact
- Financial Times

Furthermore I have also researched on the universities with a high percentage of graduates going in to non-profits and social entrepreneurship ventures.
Keeping my goals and profile in focus (with an extra bit of hope for good universities) I have come up with my final list as below.

Georgetown - Mcdonough
Michigan - Ross
UBC - Sauder
Boston University - SOM
Notre Dame - Mendoza
George Washington -
Yale - SOM
North Carolina - Kenan Flagler
Melbourne Business School

I would like to know your opinion on this list.
Thanks,
Zohair Hassan

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 am
That looks like a good list to start with. Now research those schools more - talk to current students from each school and figure out why each one would appeal to you beyond where they place their students. I say this because let's say 90% of HBS candidates PLACED THEMSELVES into social entrepreneurship. Well then their placement rate would be 90% but that doesn't necessarily mean that HBS is the place for you.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants