Awaiting Promotion - R1 vs R2 ?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Aug 2017

Awaiting Promotion - R1 vs R2 ?

by agb55 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:50 am
Hello,

Currently Assistant Manager, I have a slight chance of getting promoted to Manager by this year-end. I was targeting R1 deadline, but such a scenario tempts to push my submissions to R2.

I am a 26 year old Indian Male having 3 years work-ex of in a global financial institution (analytics / data consulting role) and a year of work-ex in a global Travel company (As software engineer). Extra-curricular side is decent enough. Targeting top 10 US schools.

My only motivation in applying in R1 is that, given I am in an over-represented group of applicants, I would stand the best chance of admit in R1. Is there any truth in the myth that applying in R1 offers the best chance of admit for an applicant in an over-represented group? I haven't even started with my applications, but I might manage to pull off till R1 deadline. Though at the risk of being a half-baked one. Additionally, can I write in my essays / tell Ad-Coms that I am expecting a promotion even if it's not 100% guaranteed.

If I wait till R2, will the promotion to a Manager role really add further value and fill in the gaps in my application? Is it worth waiting?

Considering all facts, which Round will be a wise choice?
Really appreciate any help on this.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 13
Joined: 09 Dec 2016
Followed by:2 members

by mbaMissionNishaT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:58 pm
Hi, and thanks for writing! It is true that for candidates with heavily represented backgrounds, Round 1 can help (since at that point, all of the spots are open). However, one should never apply before being fully ready - so if you truly feel that your applications would be half-baked for R1, apply R2 instead.

As for the promotion, if you don't secure it before submitting your application, you can have you recommender attest to it (basically, mention that you are on track to a promotion). And, if you get notified of a promotion before submitting that will take effect post-submission (say November, if you're applying R1 in October) you can write "Effective XX date" on your resume. I wouldn't necessarily wait to apply Round 2 just to wait for a possible promotion - you can update the AdCom later on if the promotion comes through.

I hope that helps! Let me know of any other questions :)
agb55 wrote:Hello,

Currently Assistant Manager, I have a slight chance of getting promoted to Manager by this year-end. I was targeting R1 deadline, but such a scenario tempts to push my submissions to R2.

I am a 26 year old Indian Male having 3 years work-ex of in a global financial institution (analytics / data consulting role) and a year of work-ex in a global Travel company (As software engineer). Extra-curricular side is decent enough. Targeting top 10 US schools.

My only motivation in applying in R1 is that, given I am in an over-represented group of applicants, I would stand the best chance of admit in R1. Is there any truth in the myth that applying in R1 offers the best chance of admit for an applicant in an over-represented group? I haven't even started with my applications, but I might manage to pull off till R1 deadline. Though at the risk of being a half-baked one. Additionally, can I write in my essays / tell Ad-Coms that I am expecting a promotion even if it's not 100% guaranteed.

If I wait till R2, will the promotion to a Manager role really add further value and fill in the gaps in my application? Is it worth waiting?

Considering all facts, which Round will be a wise choice?
Really appreciate any help on this.