Avoid Making mistake in the begining!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Avoid Making mistake in the begining!

by amirhakimi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi there,
Last day I took GMATprep, the verbal score was overwhelming. Although I had 11 wrong answer in 41 verbal questions, I've scored 28 in verbal.
When I reviewed my answers, I spot that I made several mistake in the beginning that damaged my score severely.

Simply don't rush and invest sufficient time in the beginning of every section in GMAT!
Sincerely,
Amir,

The only place that "Success" comes before "Trying" is in the dictionary!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:06 pm
Hi amirhakimi,

You've learned an important lesson from this experience. After reviewing the CAT, how many of those earlier wrong answers were due to silly mistakes or unlucky guesses? The GMAT gives you a score that you earn, so if you make too many silly mistakes, then those points will be lost.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amirhakimi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:31 pm
Hey Rich,
Half of them were silly mistakes.
Sincerely,
Amir,

The only place that "Success" comes before "Trying" is in the dictionary!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by KevinRocci » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:51 am
Howdy,

You are not the only one that this happens to. Many students face the same problem of making small errors. Most times these errors are even more frustrating because you understood the concept, you thought through the problem and planned your attack, and you felt confident that you were doing everything right. That's why we call them silly, stupid mistakes.

You can correct these errors, though. And honestly, to really break into the higher scores, you have to eliminate them completely. To do so, ask yourself where the error happens. Did the mistake happen at the end of the problem or at the beginning? Many times I see students make errors right at the end of the problem. It's natural for it to happen. How many times have we seen a team winning an entire game only to lose in the final minutes or a runner ahead in the race who loses in the final stretch? This all comes from the same tendency: we drop our guard when we see the finish line. We relax. We drop our focus. We rush. All of which does not help us to succeed. This human tendency to let up at the end has to be combated.

So when you are close to the end of a question, re-double your focus. Don't rush forward to finish quickly.

I hope that this helps a little bit!

Cheers! :)