Atypical nonprofit candidate

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Atypical nonprofit candidate

by sonchau » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:27 pm
I just took the GMAT, and I ended up with a very, very low score. I don't think I prepared well, although I did "try" to study at least 5 days and about 15 hours a week for 2 months.

My profile:

25 years old, Vietnamese American male, community activist, writer

GMAT: 400 (Q: 26, V: 20, IR: 4, AWA: 5)

GPA: 3.71 UC Berkeley, Double major in American Studies & Ethnic Studies, Highest Honors, and finished an honors thesis for the Department of American Studies

Undergraduate career: Very active in student groups that help low-income communities. Led youth mentorship programs. Taught an interdisciplinary class on hip hop history. Studied abroad in Vietnam.

Current Career: Nonprofit development manager. Pioneered a donors program and first annual fundraiser, raising $100k+ for the organization whose operating budget is under $2 million. Started at the nonprofit since 2010 as an intern and was promoted many times. 3 years work experience. Will have had 4 years experience upon matriculation in Fall 2015.

Current civic engagement: Youth mentor for the Key Club that I started in high school. Went through various civic leadership programs. Community organizer/fundraiser for various multicultural community programs. Also involved in the arts and performance community through my interests in dance and music.

Target schools: Stanford, Yale, Harvard, and Berkeley

Why MBA: I'd like to learn more about organizational sustainability and fundraising through the lens of business in order to advance my own theory and practice in my career, which is also my avenue to impact marginalized communities. My reasons for pursuing an MBA cuts through both my intellectual and career growth.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 am
Hi sonchau,

Thank you for your post!

While the GMAT is only one data point in an MBA application, I'm concerned your score severely limits your options for an MBA program. To be competitive at any top program, you need to score above 80% in both the Verbal and Math sections. If you have not sought formal coaching yet, I'd like to recommend downloading our free Guide to GMAT Preparation Companies,https://www.clearadmit.com/products/stra ... companies/, to find some help.

You have a solid undergraduate GPA although, given your majors and low GMAT score, the adcom would be highly concerned with your ability to handle the rigorous, quantitative coursework of the given program. That said, your work experience is certainly interesting and would help you stand out; the keys will be to account for your leadership and impact. In regards to your interest in an MBA, you will need to hammer out specific skills you hope to gain.

Overall, I strongly recommend retaking the GMAT in order to be competitive at the programs you list.

Good luck! And please contact us at [email protected] if you would like to discuss your candidacy and how we could help you pull together your applications further.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.