Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Veritas Prep

At a particular business school which requires applicants to submit GMAT scores, the difference between the average GMAT score of admitted applicants in 2017 was 15 points higher than the average GMAT score of rejected applicants in 2017. What was the average GMAT score of all applicants in 2017?

1) The average GMAT score of admitted applicants in 2017 was 700.
2) The business school admitted 10% of those who applied in 2017.

OA C

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:18 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

AAPL wrote:Veritas Prep

At a particular business school which requires applicants to submit GMAT scores, the difference between the average GMAT score of admitted applicants in 2017 was 15 points higher than the average GMAT score of rejected applicants in 2017. What was the average GMAT score of all applicants in 2017?

1) The average GMAT score of admitted applicants in 2017 was 700.
2) The business school admitted 10% of those who applied in 2017.

OA C
You can say "the average score of admitted applicants was 15 points higher than of rejected applicants" or you can say "the difference between the average score of accepted applicants and rejected applicants was 15 points" but you can't say both things in the same sentence. The sentence I highlighted above makes no sense.

So this might be more interesting as a SC question. Assuming they mean accepted students scored, on average, 15 points higher than rejected ones, Statement 1 is insufficient without the ratio of accepted to rejected applicants, Statement 2 is clearly insufficient alone, and with both we have just a standard weighted average situation where we have both group averages and the ratio of the sizes of the groups, and that of course can be solved, so the answer is C.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com