Assumption Question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Assumption Question

by Mo2men » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:01 am
The Fieldpark nuclear power plant, cited three years ago by a governmentally led safety commission for exceeding safe levels of radiation, has recently allowed the media access to its facilities. A spokesperson for the plant has claimed that the media has full access to the plant and is not prohibited from taking pictures on the premises. The spokesperson promises that, as a result, the citizens of Fieldpark can rest assured that, until next year's governmental inspection, the facility will not exceed the federal regulations on the amount of sieverts, or radiation, to which a person can be exposed.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the spokesperson's conclusion depends?

A. The media will publish all of the photos it deems incriminating.
B. The number of sieverts the plant releases has not increased since the last governmental inspection.
C. Communities are located close enough to the power plant to be harmed should the plant release more radiation than the regulations allow.
D. Photos can establish with the same reliability what a government safety commission can.
E. There were verifiable cases of radiation sickness in the year before the plant was cited by the safety commission

Source: Magoosh

While the OA: D is the assumption. In its answer, Magoosh states that B is classic weakner.

How come B weakens the argument?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:18 am
Mo2men wrote:How come B weakens the argument?
B: The number of sieverts the plant releases has not increased since the last governmental inspection.
Here, it is possible that the number of sieverts has remained at the dangerously high level detected at the last inspection, WEAKENING the conclusion that the facility will not exceed federal regulations on the amount of sieverts, or radiation, to which a person can be exposed.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sun Light » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:50 pm
A. How the publishing of the photographs and the safety is related is not mentioned.
A actually wants another link between the two.
B. Doesn't relates the taking of picture to the safety.
C. We already knw that radiation a are harmful, promity to the plant is not the core of the argument.
E. The claim that the radiation is unsafe is mentioned as a premise in the argument.