Ask GyanOne:Indian applicants for global top 30 MBA programs

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

Richard Ivey MBA Success Stories

by GyanOne » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:16 am
How can You Improve your Profile to Get Into Richard Ivey School of Business?

Canada is increasingly becoming the preferred choice for earning an MBA for Indian applicants. A stable economy, good quality of education, good living standards, easy work permits, and community living are factors attracting applicants towards these top management educations options in Canada.

Richard Ivey MBA Success Stories

Ramis is a finance professional, with 7 years of solid experience in one of the Financial services firm in Canada. With a 670 on his GMAT....Richard Ivey MBA Success Stories

This post was first published on the GyanOne Blog
Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

HEC Paris Masters in Management

by GyanOne » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:42 am
HEC Paris Masters in Management: What You Need to Crack the MiM Admissions?

HEC Paris Master in Management is a truly international management programs for young professionals, with students from more than 45 nationalities in its class. 42% of the HEC MiM class comprises of female applicants. Majority of the class comes from business administration and engineering undergraduate degrees, with the average GMAT score being 710.

With a 680 on his GMAT, this IIT Delhi engineer got into HEC with multiple scholarships (Eiffel Excellence scholarship and HEC scholarship).
Aditya had been a scholar from his school days and had won multiple Olympiads, competitions and awards for his scholastic achievements, apart from the regular festival and volunteer activities all college students contribute to. Though a highly ambitious young man....HEC Paris MiM

Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

Duke Fuqua MBA Interview Questions

by GyanOne » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:10 am

The Duke Fuqua business school is one of the most internationally focused schools in the U.S. Fuqua's cross-continent MBA program brings students to five different cities-Dubai, New Delhi, St. Petersburg, Shanghai and Durham, North Carolina. The Fuqua MBA begins with an intense month of orientation including a 3-course Global Institute to prepare students to lead in a global environment. First year students have the opportunity to participate in 5 case competitions. Among them the VCIC Case Competition lets student investors and VC firms listen to real entrepreneurs pitch their ideas. The daytime MBA program at The Fuqua School of Business was ranked 8th (U.S.) by BusinessWeek 2015.

What kind of leader are you?
How do you deal with complexity at work?
What makes teams successful? Tell us 3...Duke Fuqua MBA Interview

Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
MS vs MBA - Heres the Answer to This Dilemma For You?

MS vs MBA - this is a perennial question which troubles many an applicant as he/she stands at the cusp of deciding on the right program to pursue for further career growth. Should one pursue an MBA just because it is the more popular option? Is an MS instead going to be a better alternative because it will (in most cases) be lower cost? Is pursuing an MBA after MS anyway going to be a necessity? These questions don't have simple answers, and many applicants will try to answer them through familiarity (doing what one's circle of influence has done) or .....MS vs MBA – Which is Better and Why?

This blog post was first published on the GyanOne Blog
Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
MiM Now or MBA Later - Which One is Better?

It is one of the most critical conundrums a master's applicant in business can face - should one pursue an MiM now or MBA later? The person looking at this decision is usually about to complete his/her Bachelor's program, and is deciding on the best course of action for the future. The Master in Management and the Master in Business Administration are both popular, professional programs. Through this article, we discuss the pros and cons of choosing each side. Given this, one must carefully assess one's objectives and future plans. Is the plan function-centric (e.g. expertise in marketing) or industry-centric (e.g. leadership in the technology industry)? This is the relevant question to begin with, and will help you get a better sense of the direction you must take. If you aspire for a management role, then gaining the...MiM Now or MBA Later

Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

ONE YEAR VS TWO YEAR MBA

by GyanOne » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 am
ONE YEAR VS TWO YEAR MBA

It is an old argument. The one year MBA can be completed faster; the two year option is more comprehensive; the two year option is the 'original MBA'; the one year option is part of a 'rising trend'. We hear these arguments and many more like them every day. The one year MBA vs two year MBA debate is not new, but it rages on every year. Some applicants, without considering all the facts available to them, often decide to rule out programs of one type just because they do not understand all the facts around one year and two year MBA programs...One Year vs Two Year MBA

Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Already an MBA? Want to do a Second MBA from ISB? Read On

Every year, Indian School of Business (ISB) gets applications from thousands of applicants, a small but not insignificant portion of which comprises applicants who are seeking a second MBA from ISB. The reasons behind this choice could be many - career stagnation, insufficient learning from a first MBA, an industry or function change, or simply a desire to put one's career on the fast track through a 'premium' MBA. All of these reasons (and more) are valid, and in this article we explore the viability of pursuing the second MBA from ISB...A Second MBA from ISB

This article was first published on the GyanOne Blog
Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kashif raza » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 pm
My GMAT Score is 650 (Q=48, V=31)

I am working in Reliance group (of Mukesh Ambani) for 10 years in construction as a civil engineer. I was a part of team working on phase 2 of their world's largest refinery (worth Rs 50,000 crores at that time) at Jamnagar, Gujarat from 2007-2009. Other project on which i have worked is DMD Expansion Project (Petrochemical plant) at Dahej, Gujarat worth Rs 15,000 crores. Now, i am working in IDY & CFDV projects in Patalganga, Maharashtra. Company's name is Reliance Corporate IT Park Limited.

Earlier, i have worked in Grasim Industries - Cement Division (a company of Aditya Birla Group) for 1.5 years in cement techno marketing. Before that i was in ICT Pvt. Ltd. in pavement designing.
My total work experience is 12 years.

As for my education background:
B. Tech (Civil Engg.) - 7.77/10 CPI from Aligarh Muslim University
12th - 60.8% (AMU)
10th - 81% (St Thomas, ICSE board)
Extra curricular activity or NGO work is nil.
I want to get selected in any of these 1 year MBA programs of India: IIM A,B,C,L,I, XLRI, SP Jain or MDI.

Kindly tell in which school out of the above 8 schools I have a decent chance?

Also, tell some 1 year MBAs of foreign schools where I should target with my 650 GMAT score & above mentioned profile?

Legendary Member
ISB ESSAYS 2017 (2018 INTAKE / CLASS OF 2019): DETAILED ANALYSIS

The ISB essays 2017 (for the class entering in 2018 and graduating in 2019) have been released. While the essay topics themselves are not very different from the essay topics for last year (2016-2017 application), there are a number of important changes that ISB has introduced in its application process for this year.

What is expected in the ISB essays 2017 - 2018?
Word limit changes apart, the theme for the ISB essays remains pretty much the same as the one for last year. Without really restricting applicants to a theme chosen by the school, ISB presents an open canvas....ISB Essays 2017 (2018 Intake / Class of 2019)

This post was first shared on the GyanOne Blog
Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by GyanOne » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:09 am
kashif raza wrote:My GMAT Score is 650 (Q=48, V=31)

I am working in Reliance group (of Mukesh Ambani) for 10 years in construction as a civil engineer. I was a part of team working on phase 2 of their world's largest refinery (worth Rs 50,000 crores at that time) at Jamnagar, Gujarat from 2007-2009. Other project on which i have worked is DMD Expansion Project (Petrochemical plant) at Dahej, Gujarat worth Rs 15,000 crores. Now, i am working in IDY & CFDV projects in Patalganga, Maharashtra. Company's name is Reliance Corporate IT Park Limited.

Earlier, i have worked in Grasim Industries - Cement Division (a company of Aditya Birla Group) for 1.5 years in cement techno marketing. Before that i was in ICT Pvt. Ltd. in pavement designing.
My total work experience is 12 years.

As for my education background:
B. Tech (Civil Engg.) - 7.77/10 CPI from Aligarh Muslim University
12th - 60.8% (AMU)
10th - 81% (St Thomas, ICSE board)
Extra curricular activity or NGO work is nil.
I want to get selected in any of these 1 year MBA programs of India: IIM A,B,C,L,I, XLRI, SP Jain or MDI.

Kindly tell in which school out of the above 8 schools I have a decent chance?

Also, tell some 1 year MBAs of foreign schools where I should target with my 650 GMAT score & above mentioned profile?
Hi Kashif

Thanks for posting. You have put in some real hard work to build your profile and your career. Congratulations on that.

Here is our assessment:
- Your academic performance in college was good and your work at Reliance Jamnagar has been excellent. Working in the world's largest refinery on expansion and infrastructure projects would have given you excellent insight into the industry
- Your GMAT score at 650 is not great. You should try and increase it to at least a 680 to improve your chances at top schools. The lack of ECA will also hurt you a bit but not too much as you have extensive experience.
- Do you have any international experience (even for a few weeks)? That can help to strengthen your profile.
- Among the programs you list, IIMA/C/L/I/XLRI/MDI are feasible, but with a slightly higher score. At your current score, only IIML/I and XLRI are feasible.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Legendary Member
GyanOne Interviews FT Rank 11 MBA CEIBS China: Must Know Fundas Before You Apply

China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) is a young school (established in 1994), but it has already created waves both in Asia and around the world. Currently ranked number 11 on the Financial Times ranking of top MBA programs, CEIBS has garnered a lot of attention and interest from top MBA applicants. GyanOne interviews Yvonne Li, MBA Director of Admissions, Marketing and Career Services at CEIBS, to get her perspective on studies, life, and growth for students in the full-time MBA program at CEIBS. This interview will provide perspective applicants with excellent insight into ...CEIBS MBA Admissions Committee

This interview was first published on the GyanOne Blog
Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

FINTECH: AN INCREASING FOCUS OF TOP MBAS

by GyanOne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:34 am
FINTECH: AN INCREASING FOCUS OF TOP MBAS

When we talk of "disruptive technology", it is the change in technological landscape which will change the future course of an industry. The term was coined by Clayton M. Christensen, a Harvard Business School professor in his book, "The Innovator's Dilemma" (1997) where he predicted the large role technology was going to play in business and finance. Disruption - can be in terms of how certain processes will be performed, how the operational costs will change and basically how will the world work. As per the PwC Global FinTech Report 2017, 82 percent of the interviewed companies expected...Fintech MBA

Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

CAN YOU TAKE YOUR FAMILY TO CANADA?

by GyanOne » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 am
CAN YOU TAKE YOUR FAMILY TO CANADA?

If you intend to pursue your MBA in Canada and are a 'family man/woman', this is something that comes to you mind first. But nothing to worry. Yes you can take your Family with You!

Canada follows US and UK as a popular destination for students who want to pursue higher education. Unlike the US, which has always occupied the no.1 spot, Canada has seen new heights in popularity in the last decade or so. This could be attributed to universities competing globally, student friendly cities, and a healthy, organized lifestyle on offer. Further, considering that many students are rethinking their plans of moving to the US because of immigration laws .... MBA in Canada With Family

Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

MUST READ FOR ALL IIMB EPGP STUDENTS

by GyanOne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 am
MUST READ FOR ALL IIMB EPGP STUDENTS: STUDENT INTERVIEW LIFE AT IIMB

A consultant at KPMG, Senior Executive with Unilever, Scholar during graduation and a trained Kathak Dance. Tanu Sood, a student at IIMB EPGP program, is having it all. GyanOne interviews her on Why did she choose IIMB, Life at IIM Bangalore, her learning curve during the application phase and beyond.

Why did I select the IIMB EPGP program

There were several factors to consider when I decided to pursue an MBA such as the learning opportunities, experiential learning as well as future career prospects. The IIMB EPGP program is designed to cater to the learning needs of experienced professionals. Case based learning, a stellar faculty and... IIMB EPGP Student Interview

This interview was first posted on the GyanOne Blog
Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

by GyanOne » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 am
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: HOTTEST TREND IN IT CONSULTING

You are browsing through Amazon and it prompts you with the latest movie releases and it surprises you that these movies are just what you would pick! Well, if you want to know how they seem to read your mind, read on!

While the terms Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) is common, do we truly understand what it means for us? In this article, I will attempt to make sense of what these words mean beyond just their definition, which technologies are in demand and what does it mean for our future.

These words AI and ML are constantly used synonymously but there is a marked difference in that AI is a broader area of work which studies the capabilities of machines in understanding instructions no matter how complex...Artificial Intelligence

Last edited by GyanOne on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.