Ask a Haas Student

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:39 pm
Bernie@Haas wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:Would you happen to know, what the Master's in Financial engineering program is like?
Unfortunately that is something that I don't know much about. Might want to check with the MFE office at Haas.
will do, thanks.

MBA Student

by LaurenAtHaas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:59 am
For all of the Veterans applying to (or thinking about applying to) business school, I thought that the following article on the Haas School of Business website was very exciting, and might be of interest to you!

https://www2.haas.berkeley.edu/News/News ... erans.aspx
Lauren
MBA Student, Haas School of Business

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:04 pm
Thanks for sharing this, Lauren!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:58 pm
Hi Haas students,

Do you have any insight or know of anyone who can provide insight into the LGBT life @ Haas? I know being in the Bay area must be a great environment. Do you know how many students are in Q@Haas? How active is the group? I recently visited another top school for an LGBT event and they said that their LGBT group was a very close knit community because of well the common bond and also that other students where membership was say 300 students in a club, they were jealous of the closeness of the LGBT students. Is this similar to @ Haas?

Sorry that may be very specific!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

MBA Student

by Bernie@Haas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 pm
money9111 wrote:Hi Haas students,

Do you have any insight or know of anyone who can provide insight into the LGBT life @ Haas? I know being in the Bay area must be a great environment. Do you know how many students are in Q@Haas? How active is the group? I recently visited another top school for an LGBT event and they said that their LGBT group was a very close knit community because of well the common bond and also that other students where membership was say 300 students in a club, they were jealous of the closeness of the LGBT students. Is this similar to @ Haas?

Sorry that may be very specific!
Hi there,

I can answer this one. LGBT life is good at Haas. The culture is very accepting, and it's a non-issue whether you are LGBT or not. Q@Haas puts together some Haas wide events such as sponsoring one of the Monthly Consumption Functions, and a weekly Bar of the Week. There's also an LGBT Admissions Workshop sometime in the fall, so you should definitely try to attend that if you are interested in the school. It's a 1/2 day program that will give you a very good idea of what Haas is about. We are definitely one of the most active LGBT clubs in the top MBA programs, have one of the highest ratios of LGBT students to the class size, and our events are cited as "best practices" at the Reaching Out Leadership Summit between business schools every April.

There are usually 15-20 students who are actively in Q@Haas, and we are all very close with each other. Come for a visit and I'm sure you'll enjoy meeting the members here in Q@Haas!

Hope that helps!
Bernie
Bernie
MBA Student, Haas

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 am
Thank you! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for! I want to volunteer at the Reaching Out Conference this year in LA, since I'm not an MBA student yet, so I think I'm going to pair that with a Haas visit.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

MBA Student

by Bernie@Haas » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:05 am
I attended Reaching Out as an applicant/prospective, and it was a BLAST! Definitely go if you can, and let Q@Haas know when you're visiting campus. They'll usually have someone meet with you.

I do highly recommend the LGBT Admissions Workshop in the fall though. :)
Bernie
MBA Student, Haas

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by skah-uh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:33 pm
Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and respond to questions!

I'm curious about Haas's relationship to Amazon. Do you know of any fellow students who have taken jobs with Amazon after graduation? If so, in what capacity? It's a company I might like to work for, so I'm interested to know what kind of positions Haas graduates have taken.

What about entrepreneurs? Haas is touted as one of the top schools for entrepreneurial-minded MBAs. Is this justified? Also, I imagine that in addition to those peers of yours who start their own ventures, some people must come to the school intending to be entrepreneurs, and leave the school with jobs in the corporate world. I just wonder what kind of opportunities I, as a "non-traditional" student and entrepreneur, might have upon graduation, were I to decide to do something other than my own venture.

Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by kaushal saxena » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:16 pm
Thanks Eric! I guess this thread is probably dead.

Ummm..
Hello,
Can any one of you please elaborate your monthly expenses while living. Approximately, What is the complete budget of a Hass student? Though, I've acquired info on budget from multiple online sources. But I believe a current Hass student would be able to tell the exact figure.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by skalevar » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:19 pm
Hi all,

If this thread is still alive, I have a few questions for all of you.

1) McKinsey, Bain, BCG (MBB) Hiring. I understand that roughly 25% of each year's class graduates into management consulting, but I have not been able to find precise figures on the number of hires to the Top Tier Management Consulting Firms (MBB). Do any of you have any insight into how many of the roughly 60 consulting hires go to MBB?

2) Venture Capital Hiring. Through the 2009 employment report, I noticed that less than 2% of Haas grads went into VC. Can any of you elaborate on the reasons for this? With Haas' proximity to Silicon Valley, and programs such as Haas Venture Fellows, I would think Haas would place a few more candidates into the VC path.

3) Can anyone elaborate on how many students either start their own businesses or join startups (<10 people) after grad?