Army of terra-cotta

This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:45 am
I am not eliminating B coz of the statement- the army was created 2000 years ago but because of the statement " Qin Shi Huang was protected in his afterlife " i am sure we dont have information about whether the army is protecting the king even now or has left the protection. Atleast i dont!
IMO you cannot assign past tense to these situations. was protected implies the event happened in the past and does not occur anymore.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:08 am
fibbonnaci wrote:I am not eliminating B coz of the statement- the army was created 2000 years ago but because of the statement " Qin Shi Huang was protected in his afterlife " i am sure we dont have information about whether the army is protecting the king even now or has left the protection. Atleast i dont!
IMO you cannot assign past tense to these situations. was protected implies the event happened in the past and does not occur anymore.
:) yes, I understood that from your initial post. However, wanted you to elaborate that point.

FYI, there is lot of mixing of tense in this sentence, which is grammatically correct.

->The army created to protect.
->is 2000 yrs ago.
->took 700,000 artisans to complete.

One simple way to eliminate all the incorrect options is by looking at the opening modifier.

Rivaling the Pyramids.....,

what rivals these monuments? The terra-cotta army.

So, this term should immediately follow the comma. Only A has this kind of construction. :)
Regards,
Harsha

MBA Student

by fibbonnaci » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:21 am
I accept the modifier issue but there is yet another tense mistake which is a grave one too. I wrote yet another approach to eliminate B.
The minute you see lot of tenses mixed up, that should raise a red flag in ur head coz generally authors love to mix up the tenses and make it seem all rite.
@harshavardhan i do not know what you wanted me to explain coz i elaborate my point when i post. if u read my post you will see that i have elaborated the tense error that i pointed to and gave a reason why. infact i just re iterated the same wording for your response.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by Takshs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:10 am
Are u guys kidding....The answer is A!!!

Its a simple modifier problem!!

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 am
Takshs wrote:Are u guys kidding....The answer is A!!!

Its a simple modifier problem!!
Takshs,

I see that this is your first post on this forum.

For your information, there are certain rules which MUST be followed when you post click the submit button. The rules can be searched easily.

IMO, the way you have replied is certainly not the way to start.

You should participate in the discussion and add something useful to it. If you cannot, then it's better to just read the topic and move on. But.....don't discourage or make fun of anyone.

As far as the correct answer is concerned, everyone knows that is a modifier problem.

We were just discussing other points on which the rest of the options could be eliminated, which will help anyone in the longer run.
Regards,
Harsha

MBA Student

by fibbonnaci » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 am
@Takshs,
I totally second harshavardhan. BTG is a forum where we expect people to follow some norms and rules before posting.
The way u posted here is definitely not commendable.
FYI, all of us here know the answer has to be A and there is a modifier issue but we are trying to deal with other kinds of minor errors that also play a pivotal role. knowing other approaches help in the long run.

If you cant add value to discussions , I dont want you to be belittling the discussion.