Application Strategy: Disappointing recent GMAT - Pls Advise

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Thanks for providing advice on this board. I attended an info session at the Penn Club from SBC back in September, and I was very impressed with the depth of knowledge of your consultants.

I recently took the GMAT and received a 580. This score is way below what I believe I am capable of, and was very disappointing for me. I choked on the math. I am planning to retake the test, but am not sure if I should apply to Grad School for this year or next.

My first question is: If I get recommendations this year, will they still be good if I apply next year to schools I want to attend. I am not sure what my career path is going to be over the next year, but would like to obtain certain recommendations now. Is it possible to do this now in anticipation of applying next year?

Second Question: I have been considering applying to the University of Washington (I am a Washington State resident), as a backup option, however my GMAT is below their 25-75% range (I believe it is 630-670). Would it be a mistake to the apply to UW with my current GMAT score?

The following is my work experience and stats. I would like to apply to some of the best schools out there, but am unsure of how I should proceed at this point. Should I try to retake the GMAT within the next month, or should I wait to apply in October of next year.

I am a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania in Molecular Biology. I did well in undergrad math, obtaining A-/B+ average in Calculus I and II.

My undergrad GPA is a 3.4. Besides a D I received in Bio 102 freshman year, I never had anything below a B my entire time in school.

I have been working in a tech startup for the last two years. Before that, I did sales for an office supply company, and prior to that I was a research scientist.

I have been working for a non-profit for the last year, building them a new website. I am also a member of Social Venture Partners, a non-profit group that makes investments in underfunded or underresourced non-profits.

I feel that these things will help my application. However, I would like your advice on the best way for me to proceed.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:59 pm
Hi larbgai,

It sounds like you have interesting work experience and solid undergrad academics. I would definitely advise trying the GMAT again - many applicants see vast improvement after tutoring, for example.

If you have time to re-take the GMAT and write your essays for Round 2 deadlines, it may be worth applying this year. Otherwise, concentrate on building your case for next year.

It is a good idea to wait to ask your recommenders for references when you know you are ready to apply. The more up to date the information about you, the better.

Good luck!

amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting