Anyone gotten an 800 score? This and other stupid questions!

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hi guys. I have some questions about this mysterious test known as the GMAT:

1. Has anyone on this forum gotten that elusive 800 yet?
2. How crappy is Princeton Review's practice CATs? Are they even CATs?
3. Why is Critical Reasoning even on the GMAT; does anybody ever get these questions wrong?

Some background: I got a 770/790 on the two GMATPrep tests, and a 760-790 on MGMAT's CATs. I got b/w a 690-730 on Princeton Review's "CATs". I scored a Q50 and a Q51 on my GMATPrep tests, and got 8 and 7 questions wrong, respectively. For my Princeton Review tests, I got b/w 1-3 Q questions wrong, and scored between a Q48 and Q47. What? Also, I've never gotten a single Critical Reasoning question wrong on GMATPrep or MGMAT, but I've gotten a few wrong on Princeton Review. Even after I reviewed the answer given, I still think the question was retarded. Lastly, the Princeton review tests are ALWAYS the same questions; difficulty is not determined by how well one performs.

I re-take practice tests for fun (OK, I'm a dork :cry: ). I retake the GMATPrep tests constantly to try and get an 800, and still can't! I will sometimes see questions I've done before, but I'll often get new questions that are quite difficult (unlike Princeton Review). What does it take to get an 800?!
Last edited by beny on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fsar45 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:55 am
Yes, I would say that retaking GMAT practice tests after you've finished your actual GMAT qualifies you to be a dork!! LOL. Nice job on the 780. That score is almost as impossible as 800, which I've never personally heard of anyone achieving.

I did not have any troubles with the Princeton CATs (yes, they are adaptive and use a similar scoring algorithm). They were very similar to the real GMAT for me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:38 pm
Several people who work for us have gotten 800s on the real thing. I've gotten 800s on our tests and GMATPrep but not on the real thing. It's really hard to get on the real thing - only maybe 0.1% of people get that score. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by beny » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:22 pm
According to ETS, it's .05%, but I'll let your stastic pass for a rounding error. :wink:

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
hmmm! some interesting person has joined the forums... ;)
beny wrote:Hi guys. I have some questions about this mysterious test known as the GMAT:

1. Has anyone on this forum gotten that elusive 800 yet?
I had invited one fellow. Dont know whether he has joined or not. And even if he has, it's useless because he's not contributing :lol:
2. How crappy is Princeton Review's practice CATs? Are they even CATs?
NO COMMENTS :lol:
3. Why is Critical Reasoning even on the GMAT; does anybody ever get these questions wrong?
Check this out https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewforum.php?f=10
if you think you're master in CR please start helping others. :)
Some background: I took the GMAT recently and scored 780. I got a 780 on both GMATPrep tests, and a 760-780 on MGMAT's CATs. I got b/w a 690-730 on Princeton Review's "CATs". I scored a Q50 and a Q51 on my GMATPrep tests, and got 8 and 7 questions wrong, respectively. For my Princeton Review tests, I got b/w 1-3 Q questions wrong, and scored between a Q48 and Q47. What? Also, I've never gotten a single Critical Reasoning question wrong on GMATPrep or MGMAT, but I've gotten a few wrong on Princeton Review. Even after I reviewed the answer given, I still think the question was retarded. Lastly, the Princeton review tests are ALWAYS the same questions; difficulty is not determined by how well one performs.

Now that I've finished the test, I just re-take practice tests for fun (OK, I'm a dork :cry: ). I retake the GMATPrep tests constantly to try and get an 800, and still can't! I will sometimes see questions I've done before, but I'll often get new questions that are quite difficult (unlike Princeton Review). What does it take to get an 800?!
Congrats!
Please share your experience that would be helpful to other members. https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Thank you.