Anyone get >700 without breaking 700 on practice tests

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi all,

I've got my GMAT in 9 days time and have been working for the last 3 months on it. I've been doing tests for the last 3 weeks but never scored greater than 700. My range tends to be around 650 mark.

Has anyone got 700 on the real thing without ever getting 700 on practice exams.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I quite bright normally - I'm a recently qualified medical doctor.

I'm beginning to think I'm never going to break the 700 barrier.

Thanks all

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
GMAT? wrote:Hi all,

I've got my GMAT in 9 days time and have been working for the last 3 months on it. I've been doing tests for the last 3 weeks but never scored greater than 700. My range tends to be around 650 mark.

Has anyone got 700 on the real thing without ever getting 700 on practice exams.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I quite bright normally - I'm a recently qualified medical doctor.

I'm beginning to think I'm never going to break the 700 barrier.

Thanks all
I have heard of people scoring a 700+, despite never reaching that score in practice tests.

Can you tell us what practice test material you have been using? The material makes a big difference. For example, if you are scoring 650s consistently in Kaplan tests, then you are in really good shape of getting a 700+ on the real exam. If you have been getting 650s in GMATPrep (the most accurate simulation of the real GMAT), then you should probably expect a score around 650.

Just know, however, that you are within striking distance of your goal. Be smart about your studies for your remaining week and go into your test confidently--you CAN reach your goal!

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by GMAT? » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:39 pm
Thanks for your reply.

I been using GMAT prep - Max score 640. Kaplan - Max score 540. Score800.com - Max score 540.

I've attended Manhattan Review 2 day course - Already knew the material they went through. Used Kaplan, Princeton Review and Official giude books.

I guess its not looking positive then.

Any ideas about how to approach the last 9 days. I've off work.

I was thinking about doing a practice exam and reviewing mistakes each day in the morning (except on the last day). Then going throught 10th Ed Official guide in the afternoon followed by reviewing notes (e.g. formulas) in the evening. What do you think.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:49 pm
GMAT? wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I been using GMAT prep - Max score 640. Kaplan - Max score 540. Score800.com - Max score 540.

I've attended Manhattan Review 2 day course - Already knew the material they went through. Used Kaplan, Princeton Review and Official giude books.

I was thinking about doing a practice exam and reviewing mistakes each day in the morning (except on the last day). Then going throught 10th Ed Official guide in the afternoon followed by reviewing notes (e.g. formulas) in the evening. What do you think.

Thanks
Thanks for the clarification. It indeed looks like you are positioned for a mid-600 score at the moment. However, you should still keep a positive attitude! An improvement of 50 points is certainly feasible, but it will take some effort.

Your strategy to take lots of practice exams and review mistakes is sound. However, have you done any analysis as to the types of questions or concepts you consistently get wrong?

If you have kept the answer sheets you've used during your practice, do a quick review to see whether you can identify any patterns of mistakes. Once you identify your weaknesses, do lots of practice with OG in the specific area where you are weak. When reading though the explanations, do not skim them--take extra time to read and understand.

In your final week, you should be practicing MOSTLY with OG. Even if you have gone through the entire book all ready, it doesn't hurt to do it again. OG is the only book available that features real GMAT questions, and this book is the only resource available that allows you to pick up on common question patterns tested on the GMAT. Don't practice with other GMAT material because those questions are usually written poorly and can set the wrong expectations for test patterns.

Keep a postive attitude and really believe that you can reach your goal! It is within your grasp!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:24 am
In general case i would recommend to check a Jack story.

better now that you have posted your case here,

i believe that the chances of getting a high score(ie 700+) on real test when you are scoring ~540 -640 are quite less.
at the same time i think '9 days' is good period for the improvement, given the fact that you have all days off, you can spend max time for GMAT prep.

For Nine days i wont recommend a plan.

download GMAT flascards
right now you dont have timeto make your own ;)

the best strategies in consice material.
best bet.

btw do you have OG11?
if no. eemmm don t panic.

practse GMATprep problems more. I mean the CAT tests. (ignore the scores you will get_)
by six days you will realise the trends and the style the way GMAC ask question.
thats more important
you ll get used to the pattern..
and i think thats the key.

with above two materials i mentioned Nine days looks like a lot.
so thats it.
if time permits dig more and explore other toughies....
but first build the fundamentals first.
Use your nine days wisely
thats all you have got

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:27 am
and keep us posted your progress by replying to this thread.

:)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:01 pm
Thanks Johny.

Yes, please keep us updated on your progress. And don't be shy about leveraging this community for ANY questions that you might have.

by GMAT? » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:27 pm
Thanks for your reply.

Thanks

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:52 pm
pal
you repeated your post :|
its already there @ post#3
tell us something new.
i am affraid, scuh plan suits for one month prep.
yeah you can try it that way.
but
i think you should cover up the basic fundamentals first.
master in that field.

Ps. you hav not replied to my q.
such as do you hav OG11?