Any advice on MBA life for a Mother?

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Any advice on MBA life for a Mother?

by Obsessed » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm
I am a married Hispanic Female.
Age 31.
BA from UCSB in Geography GPA 3.4
MS from Montana State in Land Resources Environmental Science GPA 3.4
Work Experience 3 Yr
2 Children!

I am interested in an MBA preferably from McCombs at UT Austin. But I am wondering in there are any married people with small children who can give advice as to how they deal with the many functions of school. Also I am just beginning studying for the test so I am looking to apply for Fall 2013 or 2013.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by MiroKaz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 am
I'm not a parent myself, but several of my friends have had children while in business school.

Business school tests relationships and kids are just one more variable in that.

On the upside
  • Your schedule of classes will be fixed and predictable to allow for easier child care
    You can really adjust your level of commitment to school based on the priorities in your life. If kids are a priority, there's no rule that says you can't skip plenty of social events
    Skype makes teleconferencing basically free once you have a laptop with a camera and Google Docs makes live collaboration easy too

On the downside
  • There isn't much flexibility to miss classes
    Your team-mates in group projects won't be thrilled with the inflexibility in your schedule
    B-School will demand alot of your life and your mental energy.
Bottom line, like any school choice, you're giving up a lot. You need to make sure your partner, your childcare provider and your children (in an age appropriate way) understand the commitments that you have. Check out some of the great advice to spouses and significant others on these boards and you'll have a sense of the challenges faced.

Good luck.
@MiroKaz

Check out the highlights of MBA life every week at
https://www.TheMBAShow.com

by mariz » Sat May 07, 2011 10:32 pm
I also have 3 kids and have plans on taking mba. I'm just not sure how could I manage everything, currently I'm still preparing for gmat.

by undertaker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:10 am
Dear Obsessed,
I really appreciate you for going upward. Because you are a mother of two children. So it's not easy for people like you who want to do MBA , because they are not able to attend the regular classes or lectures. In this case I only suggest online MBA programs or distance learning Because you have already 3 years of experience. So Online MBA would be a great option for you!. Because in this mode you need not to go to college or school or any institute to attend the classes, you can attend the regular lectures at you home via net.
Best OF luck.

by standardcrow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 pm
Why would a mother of 2 be unable to do an MBA? I do not see why a Mother of 2 cannot attend classes? I had my kids fairly young (at 24 and 27) and took two years out of my career, which is going to put me in the older applicant bracket when I apply next year, but I work full time and returned to work each time just after my kids first birthdays. I agree when children are super small then attending full time classes may be difficult but nowadays women do go back to work and study. Personally, I have worked a full week and done vounteering and done a Bachelors in 3 years with 2 children under 5. Sure, it's hard work, I sat one of my degree exams with a break for feeding in the middle, but nobody would suggest a father of two could not do an MBA. Come on, we are not living in the 1950s!