Antigenic shift refers to

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Antigenic shift refers to

by sameerballani » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 am
Antigenic shift refers to the combination of two different strains of influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza.
A)influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
B)influenza, different than the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
C)influenza, in contrast to the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
D)influenza, different than antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
E)influenza; in contrast to antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza

OA:A
Please comment whether the following additional option is correct or not.

F)influenza, in contrast to antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 am
Whats wrong with D?
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 am
use of ';' means the second half should be complete and related to first half
IMO A
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gauravgundal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 am
Initally I got down to E,but after analyzing careful I found E a wrong answer choice.
IMO: A

The part after and before semicolon must be an independent clause/sentence.

B. Comparison issue.
C. same as B.
D. different than is incorrect .It should be different from or better to say.. Antigenic shift refers... and is different from antigenic drift.
E. As stated above ,the part after semicolon in E is not a clause/sentence.
...which refers... modifies antigenice drift.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:01 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:Whats wrong with D?
different than is the wrong idiom, correct idiom is different from

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:16 am
sameerballani wrote:Antigenic shift refers to the combination of two different strains of influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza.

F)influenza, in contrast to antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza

Thanks
Hi,
I think F is incorrect too. I think the usage of 'in contrast to ...' in F implies that antigenic shift is compared with influenza(noun)/two different strains of influenza(noun phrase). But, the purpose of the sentence is to show contrast between Antigenic shift and Antigenic drift.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sameerballani » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:51 am
Frankenstein wrote:
sameerballani wrote:Antigenic shift refers to the combination of two different strains of influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza.

Thanks
Hi,
I think F is incorrect too. I think the usage of 'in contrast to ...' in F implies that antigenic shift is compared with influenza(noun)/two different strains of influenza(noun phrase). But, the purpose of the sentence is to show contrast between Antigenic shift and Antigenic drift.
However, I feel the comparison is between Antigenic shift and Antigenic drift only.
That is why i created this additional option. Are you sure about your comment?

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 am
sameerballani wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:

Thanks
Hi,
However, I feel the comparison is between Antigenic shift and Antigenic drift only.
That is why i created this additional option. Are you sure about your comment?
Hi,
On first look, that appeared OK even to me. I cant assure you. If I were sure, I wouldn't use 'I think'. It's just my opinion. It would be great if experts can respond.
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:28 am
A)influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
B)influenza, different than the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
C)influenza, in contrast to the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
D)influenza, different than antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
E)influenza; in contrast to antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza

OA:A

Thanks
In F, it is unclear what exactly is in contrast to antigenic drift. It must be clear what a modifier is modifying. Thus, F would be incorrect if it were offered as an answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3