Amounting and amount to

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Amounting and amount to

by amysky_0205 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:58 pm
For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters

OA: D

Can someone explain this one?
Also, I would like to know the difference between amounting and amount to

thank u!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 am
amysky_0205 wrote:For the first time in the modern era, non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority in California, which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly there-quarters only a decade ago.

A. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters only a decade ago
B. which amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when it was nearly three-quarters
C. and that amounts to a little less than half the population of the state, down from a decade ago, when they were nearly three-quarters
D. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from nearly three-quarters a decade ago
E. amounting to a little less than half the population of the state, down from what it was a decade ago by nearly three-quarters

OA: D

Can someone explain this one?
Also, I would like to know the difference between amounting and amount to

thank u!
In A and B, which seems to refer to California, implying that CALIFORNIA amounts to a little less than half the population -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A and B.

In C, that lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate C.

In E, it lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

Here, amounts and amounting serve different grammatical functions.
The subject of amounts in A, B and C is the preceding pronoun (which/that).
The result is a nonsensical/unclear meaning.
But COMMA + VERBing refers to the SUBJECT OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.
Thus, in the OA, amounting refers to non-Hispanic Whites, conveying the intended meaning: that NON-HISPANIC WHITES are AMOUNTING to a little less than half the population.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 am
The issue here is not really the distinction between "amounts to" and "amounting," but the distinction between modifiers that begin with "which" and those that begin with a present participle (anything ending in -ing).

Any modifier that begins with "... , which..." is a noun modifier - it's giving you information about a person or thing - and it must modify the noun that directly precedes it. As Mitch said, the "which" clause in A and B is modifying "California," implying that California amounts to half the population....

A modifier following a comma that begins with a present participle, however, is an adverbial modifier - it's modifying the verb or the entire clause. Because it can modify the verb or the clause, it doesn't have to be next to anything in particular. Here, "amounting to half the population" is giving us more information about the entire idea that "non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority." We need the adverbial modifier here.

Whenever you a split like this:
... , which...
... , ____ing...

Ask yourself - is this modifier giving me more information about a noun or about a verb/clause?
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 pm
ceilidh.erickson wrote:The issue here is not really the distinction between "amounts to" and "amounting," but the distinction between modifiers that begin with "which" and those that begin with a present participle (anything ending in -ing).

Any modifier that begins with "... , which..." is a noun modifier - it's giving you information about a person or thing - and it must modify the noun that directly precedes it. As Mitch said, the "which" clause in A and B is modifying "California," implying that California amounts to half the population....

A modifier following a comma that begins with a present participle, however, is an adverbial modifier - it's modifying the verb or the entire clause. Because it can modify the verb or the clause, it doesn't have to be next to anything in particular. Here, "amounting to half the population" is giving us more information about the entire idea that "non-Hispanic Whites are officially a minority." We need the adverbial modifier here.

Whenever you a split like this:
... , which...
... , ____ing...

Ask yourself - is this modifier giving me more information about a noun or about a verb/clause?
GREAT.

I want to follow use but when I click the relevant box, is dose not work, pls, help