Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state's economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted

my doubt: the construction of A is much different from the construction of C .meaning wise A is different from C .what could be a possible reason to reject A and accept C .to me both A and C seem viable
A intends to say that that Alaska is depositing some of its profits from the sale of oil with the intention as specified

C intends to say that that Alaska is depositing some of its profits from the sale of oil into a fund that itself is intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted

can GMAC differentiate answers with such a thin line ?
thanks and regards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Mon May 05, 2014 12:59 am
Hi Aditya,

In such cases, i think we should always go by the meaning suggested in the original statement. So according this A would be better pick but the problem with A is "with the intention to" is incorrect idiom - it should be "with the intention of"
Also, "its" is refering to economy when it should refer to Alaska

SO IMO "C"