Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fights into Plainsville airport disturb their sleep and should be sharply reduced in number. This complaint is completely unreasonable -there have been night flights coming into the airport from the very beginning, twenty years ago, and these residents should have taken that fact into account when buying their homes.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the airport argument depends?

A. There are fewer night flights now than there were originally.
B. The residents who are complaining have been in their current homes fewer than twenty years.
C. The residents who are complaining are ignoring the benefits they gain from the presence of the airport.
D. The economic success of the airport depends entirely on the existence of the night flights.
E. People buying houses in Plainville all avoid buying houses near the airport if they can.

OA: B

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:52 am
Let's debate Why E can't be the correct answer.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:670

by joealam1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:41 am
Hi RichaChampion,

i think E is wrong because the language is too extreme "all" is not needed.
Plus if you negate it it would be : "not all people buying houses in plainville avoid buying houses near the airport if they can", and this won't weaken the conclusion

I assume we can look at it this way.

Regards,

Joe

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:18 pm
richachampion wrote:Let's debate Why E can't be the correct answer.
Premise: Night flights have been coming into the airport for the past twenty years, a fact that local residents should have taken into account when buying their homes.
Conclusion: It is unreasonable for local residents to complain that night fights are disturbing their sleep.

Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.
In other words, the negation of the correct answer choice will show that it is REASONABLE for local residents to complain about noise from night flights.

B, negated:
The residents who are complaining have been in their current homes for twenty years or longer.
Since night flights have been coming into airport only for the last 20 years, residents who have been in their current homes longer than 20 years could NOT have taken night flights into account when purchasing their homes, making it REASONABLE for them to complain about noise from night flights.
Since the negation of B invalidates the conclusion, B is the correct assumption: the answer choice that MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is B.

E, negated:
People buying houses in Plainville do not all avoid buying houses near the airport.
Here, at least one person does not avoid buying a house near the airport.
Since it remains true that local residents should have taken night flights into account when purchasing their homes, the negation of E does not make it reasonable for these residents to complain about noise from night flights.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3