After all this financial meltdown...

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies

Graduating with MBA degree by 2010. Will there be enough jobs by then in the financial sector like they were till 09/08 ?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 7

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

After all this financial meltdown...

by ok24by7 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:47 pm
Hi All,

Just wanted to get your views on whether MBA will still be a good option to consider after all the news about financial sector meltdown in US.

Will the jobs be back on wall st or in the finance dept in atleast 2 years, by the time I complete my MBA?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but all comments are welcome...
This post is NOT to discourage people from going for an MBA.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:57 pm
Moved this poll to the Lounge
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tolmar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 am
I really think that the golden era of b-schools is over for a couple of years. This crises is not just a pure finical crises that will reshape the landscape of the finance and banking institutions of the next years.

Many top B schools suggested that their schools are the safest way to investment banking. with that sector completely wiped out (2 collapsed, the other two became regular banks), the incentive to get an MBA is completely going down.

I think that salaries in this sector are gone forever, since the government will demand more regulation, and share holders will want to see long term results, and not just short ones that makes the CEO pockets full.

I think that paying today 150K for 2 years in education is a very difficult decision to make, especially when it will take much more time to return it.