Advice wanted (education field)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice wanted (education field)

by Steamboat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:49 pm
Hi,

I'm considering an MBA to move into management/administration in the education field (hopefully a university). I've been accepted to a good MBA program in Canada, but I'm wondering if any of the top US MBA programs would open up more opportunities.

Are there any MBA programs that are particularly well suited to the education field? What types of schools would I be competitive for? (I'm concerned about my work experience and low GPA).

Graduated from one of the top Canadian universities with a BA and a 3.0 GPA. I recently scored 730 on GMAT (97% Verbal, 81% Quant) and a 6 on AWA.

Work

- 6 months in an insurance company doing sales

- 1 year teaching English in China

- 1 year as a university counselor in a private school

My extra curriculars include coaching tennis and badminton at a high school and tutoring international students at university.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 pm
Hi SB,

Thanks for your post - I dont know off-hand which schools are best suited for careers in education, but most programs will allow you to take classes in the school's School of Education program - in fact, you might be able to get a dual MBA/M.Edu (I knew a classmate at Wharton who did that - helped her get an amazing VC job in Education).

So maybe start by research schools with strong Education programs. You might be able to find a school with both a strong MBA and MEdu program that fits your profile.

Based on your statistics, you could be competitive for a top 25 school. But since this year is going to be ultra competitive for MBA admissions, you might be better off going to the school you were accepted to in Canada.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Steamboat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:51 pm
Thanks for the reply Nikhil.

On a somewhat related note - how would you compare Schulich, Rotman and Ivey? Schulich does well in rankings, but it seems as though many top recruiters focus more on Rotman and Ivey.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:40 am
Hi Steamboat,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I do not specialize in Canadian MBA programs. I would urge you to contact Veritas Prep directly and they should be able to connect you with an Admissions Consultant better versed in those programs.

Our main office number is 800.925.7737

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep