Advertisers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Advertisers

by YellowSapphire » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 pm
8. Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous manipulation of people"Ÿs tastes and wants. There is evidence, however, that some advertisers are motivated by moral as well as financial considerations. A particular publication decided to change its image from being a family newspaper to concentrating on GMAT and violence, thus appealing to a different readership. Some advertisers withdrew their advertisements from the publication, and this must have been because they morally disapproved of publishing salacious material.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?

(A) The advertisers switched their advertisements to other family newspapers.
(B) Some advertisers switched from family newspapers to advertise in the changed publication.
(C) The advertisers expected their product sales to increase if they stayed with the changed publication, but to decrease if they withdrew.
(D) People who generally read family newspapers are not likely to buy newspapers that concentrate on GMAT and violence.
(E) It was expected that the changed publication would appeal principally to those in a different income group.

OA: C

What is the problem with D?
Last edited by YellowSapphire on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow Sapphire

Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 pm
YellowSapphire wrote:8. Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous manipulation of people"Ÿs tastes and wants. There is evidence, however, that some advertisers are motivated by moral as well as financial considerations. A particular publication decided to change its image from being a family newspaper to concentrating on GMAT and violence, thus appealing to a different readership. Some advertisers withdrew their advertisements from the publication, and this must have been because they morally disapproved of publishing salacious material.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?

(A) The advertisers switched their advertisements to other family newspapers.
(B) Some advertisers switched from family newspapers to advertise in the changed publication.
(C) The advertisers expected their product sales to increase if they stayed with the changed publication, but to decrease if they withdrew.
(D) People who generally read family newspapers are not likely to buy newspapers that concentrate on GMAT and violence.
(E) It was expected that the changed publication would appeal principally to those in a different income group.

What is the problem with D?
This one is really tough nut to crack,, good question. anyways i go with C.

Explanation: Read the last line of the paragraph carefully, "this must have been because they morally disapproved of publishing salacious material." i.e. here we have to look at the option which strengthen this conclusion i.e. advertisers give priority to moral values over financial gains, and option C is spot on, it clearly delivers that message, option D gives priority to the financial gain over moral values hence can be eliminated easily.!! i hope it helps...!!!!
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:08 am
This is from the Master the Lsat book.The quetion is very likely to have ambiguous answers . I feel D could be corect though its between A and D.But A doesnt show whether the change is because of moral considerations.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:42 am
1. Some advertisers are motivated by moral considerations
2. Evidence of this is because some withdrew from a magazine that was no longer family oriented

Now the question simply wants you to provide support that advertisers can be motivated by moral reasons.

A. Incorrect. Just because they switched to other family papers does not mean they did it for moral reasons. If the advertisers is selling products for children and the demographic of the new magazine is geared towards single people they are being motivated strictly for financial reasons to take their ads elsewhere.

B. Incorrect. This gives no information that would help answer it. If anything it weakens it.

C. Correct. Unlike A, C tells us that advertisers had a financial consideration to stay in the magazine but chose not to. This would be evidence that they pulled out due to the questionable content of the magazine.

D. Incorrect. Again this gives the advertiser a financial reason to change, but it is not on moral grounds.

E. Incorrect. Who the magazine appeals to does not matter.

by YellowSapphire » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:30 am
Above discussion may be right but I could not understood about D.

How does it gave priority to financial again over moral value?
Yellow Sapphire

Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 pm
YellowSapphire wrote:Above discussion may be right but I could not understood about D.

How does it gave priority to financial again over moral value?

As the Target group of the advertisers is the family people, therefore if the family people won't buy the newspaper that concentrate on GMAT and violence, then the amount invested by the advertisers on the newspaper won't yield any fruitful result. so if this causes the advertisers to withdraw its investment from a newspaper then definitely they are giving priority to financial gain.

Please pour your thoughts on why you choose option D.
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!