Admissions Essays

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Admissions Essays

by evansbd » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 am
Dear Forum,

I am an bioengineer who wants to get an MBA to help my endeavors in research oriented intellectual property in biomedical research. Ideally, I want to attend Babson with a concentration in entrprenuership. I am writing my "WHY MBA" essay and I am finding it hard not to summarize my prior research inspired business accomplishments in explaining the why I want a Babson MBA. I've read that these essays shouldn't be a summary of what you've accomplished but how those things make an MBA practical for your future.

I know Babson is a great school for entreprenuership and a great place for aspiring biomedical entrepreneurs. Therefore, I want to highlight my past and relate why I want to continue my education at Babson. I think the WHY in my essay is great but the how I came to this discovery seems to be too much of a summary. Can anyone suggest ways to get my point of becoming a bio-entreprenuer without wasting the readers' time with summary?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 am
Dear evansbd,

Perhaps you should simply state the bulk of your job is the research and you are interested in how to take the research to market--that you are curious why some technologies launch successfully and others don't? You can highlight technologies that you researched that have been successful and maybe others that you felt should have been but were not. It is not necessary to give multiple examples in detail. You can make your point by giving a broader statement and using one example to demonstrate your point.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me