Admission question

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Admission question

by who » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:38 pm
What do you think the chances are of getting into a school whose average gmat score is a 520 with the following profile?

390 GMAT (Math and English definitely my two weakest subjects), 3.34 GPA, will have degrees in BBA in Accounting and Finance, Beta Alpha Psi (national honors accounting fraternity), and other academic achievements, and great recommendation letters.

by who » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:55 pm
Forgot to include some of the information for Ms. Blackman:

-Double major Accounting and Finance
-Interesting facts
attend Messianic Jewish synagogue and want to learn Hebrew and Spanish within the next year.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:03 pm
I am sure you will not be surprised by what I am going to say. The 390 could make it very tough. However, it does sound like you have a ton of other great things going for you so I would not say that all hope is gone. If the average score at your target school is in the 500's, you may be far above average in the other areas.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by who » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:37 pm
Thanks for the advice I am not at all satisfied easily the worst test I have ever scored. I am usually above average on standardized tests. The end of July I plan on retaking the GMAT. After all the preparations I am making on this second test if I don't score within my target I know it will be very hard to reach my goal. Thanks for your time and advice.

by who » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:31 am
Retook the test and got a 500 this time. My top schools recommened GMAT of 600. I know there is room for improvement but do you think I would have a good shot of getting to a b-school who prefers a 600 on the GMAT? Here is my profile again

500 GMAT
3.34 Cum GPA
Accounting and Finance double major
Hispanic

Interesting facts
attend Messianic Jewish synagogue and am learning Spanish (goal is to be fluent by next year)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 am
Hi who,

That's a great improvement - I might work more on the GMAT prep and try again to see if it gets even better. Another idea is to take a continuing education class in calculus or statistics and get an A. That will improve your overall academic profile and will probably help with another GMAT retake.

I agree with Stacy that you may be above average in other areas, and that it's worth making the attempt.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting