According to a 1996 survey by the National Association...

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
A) than those that charge
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging

E

Why E as opposed to A?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by KevinRocci » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:10 am
Howdy! I think that I can help. :)
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
I can see the confusion. We are comparing two things, so why not use "than." But this is a bit tricky. We need to notice that before the underlined portion of the sentence, we already have a comparison idiom-"as many..." With that coming before the underlined portion of the sentence, we need to finish the idiom by using "as." The idiom is always going to be "as many ... as ..." So always be on the look out for idioms that you need to complete with the underlined portion of the sentence, especially when dealing with comparisons.

I hope this helps a little. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:11 pm
Zach.J.Dragone wrote:According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging
The OA is not E but D.
For an explanation, please check my 2 posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/fee-t270101.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Zach.J.Dragone » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:00 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Zach.J.Dragone wrote:According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging
The OA is not E but D.
Thanks for the explanation, Mitch.

In the link you sent me, you said that "charging" was an adjective but it reads like a verb to me. After all, isn't "charging" an action?

Also, it seems as though there are many of these kinds of "traps" in the GMAT. I have spent a good amount of time going over my grammar rules but have been unable to get a grasp on issues like these. Vague pronoun references, too, are difficult for me to understand. Is there a guide or some kind of tutorial on how to better understand them?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:23 am
Zach.J.Dragone wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging

In the link you sent me, you said that "charging" was an adjective but it reads like a verb to me. After all, isn't "charging" an action?
A PRESENT PARTICIPLE is a verb form that ends in -ing: running, speaking, charging, etc.

It is common for a present participle to serve as an ADJECTIVE.
The boy RUNNING down the street looks happy.
Here, RUNNING serves as an adjective describing the boy.
What KIND of boy?
The boy RUNNING down the street.

In E, those refers to institutions, implying the following:
institutions CHARGING over $16,000.
Here, charging serves as an adjective describing institutions.
What KIND of institutions?
Institutions CHARGING over $16,000.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Zach.J.Dragone » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:17 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Zach.J.Dragone wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging

A PRESENT PARTICIPLE is a verb form that ends in -ing: running, speaking, charging, etc.

It is common for a present participle to serve as an ADJECTIVE.
The boy RUNNING down the street looks happy.
Here, RUNNING serves as an adjective describing the boy.
What KIND of boy?
The boy RUNNING down the street.

In E, those refers to institutions, implying the following:
institutions CHARGING over $16,000.
Here, charging serves as an adjective describing institutions.
What KIND of institutions?
Institutions CHARGING over $16,000.
Isn't "those" ambiguous wording? In other words, couldn't "those" be referring to either organization. The only reason why I think this may not be the case is that there are only two possibilities here and we know one isn't what "those" refers to because it is a comparison...

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:50 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
The OA is not E but D.
I checked the above mentioned link.I think that the questions options given there are quiet different.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:43 am
richachampion wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
The OA is not E but D.
I checked the above mentioned link.I think that the questions options given there are quiet different.
Answer choices D and E are the same in each case.
Here, A, B and C can be eliminated because the usage of than is unidiomatic:
A, B and C: as many...than
Correct: as many AS.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by TheGraduate » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:01 pm
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging
How about "as those that charge" ? It's not there among the official options but I'm just curious.

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those that charge over $16,000.

Is the above acceptable?

Experts please comment.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:10 am
TheGraduate wrote:
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging
How about "as those that charge" ? It's not there among the official options but I'm just curious.

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those that charge over $16,000.

Is the above acceptable?
Incorrect:
As many institutions charge under $8,000 as those that charge over $16,000.
Here, the portion in red is a MODIFIER and thus cannot serve as the main verb in the second clause.
Since the second clause lacks a main verb, the main verb from the first clause (in blue) is implied as the main verb in the second clause:
As many institutions charge under $8,000 as those that charge over $16,000 [charge].
The result is an error of redundancy:
those that CHARGE over $16,000 CHARGE.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by TheGraduate » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:36 am
The correct version would read as follows:

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.

My question is , is there is an elliptical construction involved? If so, could anybody expand the sentence fully and analyze it.

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:52 am
TheGraduate wrote:The correct version would read as follows:

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.

My question is , is there is an elliptical construction involved? If so, could anybody expand the sentence fully and analyze it.

Thanks.
The OA conveys the following comparison:
More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as [independent institutions of higher education] charge [tuition and fees of] over $16,000 [a year].
The bracketed words appear in the first clause and are thus implied in the second clause.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by TheGraduate » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:23 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
TheGraduate wrote:The correct version would read as follows:

Thanks.
The OA conveys the following comparison:
More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as [independent institutions of higher education] charge [tuition and fees of] over $16,000 [a year].
The bracketed words appear in the first clause and are thus implied in the second clause.
Thanks for the reply.

So, is it okay to write it the following way?
More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those charge over $16,000.
i.e. by replacing the second instance of "independent institutions of higher education" with "those".

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:35 am
TheGraduate wrote:So, is it okay to write it the following way?
More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those charge over $16,000.
i.e. by replacing the second instance of "independent institutions of higher education" with "those".
The revision above is not viable.

When those serves as the subject of the second clause in a comparison, it must be followed by a MODIFIER -- one whose purpose is to REPLACE A MODIFIER attached to the subject of the first clause.
The girls in this year's class are taller than those in last year's class.
Here, the red modifier after those (in last year's class) serves to replace the blue modifier attached to the subject of the first clause (in this year's class).

OA: More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.
Here, the modifier in blue applies to BOTH CLAUSES.
Since this modifier does NOT need to be replaced in the second clause by a new modifier, the use of those in the second clause is unwarranted.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by TheGraduate » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:06 pm
Sorry to be asking these many questions. The sentence sounds totally off to me.
I'm sort of trying to make sure I don't go wrong on this type of question again.
Could we write it as:
More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as that charge over $16,000.
"that" being parallel to "independent institutions of higher education" ?
In that case would the the two italicized parts be parallel to each other ?