According to a 1996 survey by the National Association...

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:45 am
TheGraduate wrote:Sorry to be asking these many questions. The sentence sounds totally off to me.
I'm sort of trying to make sure I don't go wrong on this type of question again.
Could we write it as:
More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as that charge over $16,000.
"that" being parallel to "independent institutions of higher education" ?
In that case would the the two italicized parts be parallel to each other ?
No.
that (singular) cannot serve to refer to institutions (plural).
Also, when that serves as the subject of the second clause in a comparison, it must be followed by a MODIFIER -- one whose purpose is to REPLACE A MODIFIER attached to the subject of the first clause.
The amount of pollutant emitted by Car X is twice that emitted by Car Y.
Here, the red modifier after that (emitted by Car Y) serves to replace the blue modifier attached to the subject of the first clause (emitted by Car X).
In your sentence, that is not followed by a modifier, so the comparison is not viable.

The OA to the SC above is correct as written.
Rather than try to rewrite the OA, strive to understand WHY it is correct as written.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aji12 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 am
Hi Mitch,

You use omission and implied word analysis in many questions. Is this skills tested in GMAT? I find it tough to use in the time-constrain. I might be lacking in it conceptually.

Similar to your initial solution for this question, can't I eliminate answers just basis parallelism?

Regards,
Ajitesh
GMATGuruNY wrote:
TheGraduate wrote:Sorry to be asking these many questions. The sentence sounds totally off to me.
I'm sort of trying to make sure I don't go wrong on this type of question again.
Could we write it as:
More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as that charge over $16,000.
"that" being parallel to "independent institutions of higher education" ?
In that case would the the two italicized parts be parallel to each other ?
No.
that (singular) cannot serve to refer to institutions (plural).
Also, when that serves as the subject of the second clause in a comparison, it must be followed by a MODIFIER -- one whose purpose is to REPLACE A MODIFIER attached to the subject of the first clause.
The amount of pollutant emitted by Car X is twice that emitted by Car Y.
Here, the red modifier after that (emitted by Car Y) serves to replace the blue modifier attached to the subject of the first clause (emitted by Car X).
In your sentence, that is not followed by a modifier, so the comparison is not viable.

The OA to the SC above is correct as written.
Rather than try to rewrite the OA, strive to understand WHY it is correct as written.