Accepting borderline applicants based on high GMAT score?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:770
It seems to me that, not counting H/S/W/MIT, the other biz schools may try harder to find a reason to admit a borderline candidate with a 780-800 score than they would to admit a slightly "better" candidate with a 700-740 score.

The reasoning would be that if both are borderline and even if the lower-GMAT scoring applicant is actually slightly better, they'll still want to take their chances on the high-GMAT guy/gal just because it would also help their ranking. This is even though most believe after 700-720, you're "good enough" and GMAT doesn't matter as much.

Of course, all else being equal, higher GMAT always gets the nod, but I'm thinking that even in the "good enough" GMAT scores of 700+, a slightly better (in essay/work exp terms) 720-scoring candidate may be squeezed out for a less-favorable overall but 790-scoring candidate.

What do you guys think? We all know how important those rankings are for these b-schools. And I also understand that the GMAT isn't the only thing that goes in the rankings.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:01 pm
It really is not as cut and dry as you think. Yes, all else being equal any advantage will tip the scales. A score too low can only keep you put... A great score will not get you in.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by adamtn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:41 pm
Thanks for your input.