A question that's been bothering me

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

A question that's been bothering me

by Buix0065 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 pm
I've just started studying, using Kaplan GMAT premier...

Q: A recently published article on human physiology claims that enzyme K contributes to improved performance in strenuous activities such as weightlifting and sprinting. The article cites evidence of above-average levels of enzyme K in Olympic weightlifters and sprinters.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the article's conclusion?

A. Enzyme K levels are the most important factor affecting the performance of strenuous activities.
B. Enzyme K has no other function in the human body.
C. Enzyme K is required for the performance of strenuous activities.
D. Enzyme K helps weightlifters more than it helps sprinters.
E. Strenuous activities do not cause the human body to produce unusually high levels of enzyme K.

Answer: E[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 pm
Whats the conclusion?

Enzyme K contributes to improved performance in strenuous activities

Why?

Because above average levels of K are in weightlifters and sprinters

The question is asking for evidence as you how to make the reasoning stronger

A. Incorrect. They never state that its the most important, just that its a contributing factor. There could be plenty of other more important factors

B. Incorrect. Whether or not it has no other function is irrelevant to contributing to performance

C. Incorrect. Again its a contributing factor. Its not required. It just may make you perform better

D. Incorrect. Completely irrelevant. Who it helps more is unimportant.

E. Correct. The conclusion states that enzyme K leads to improved performance. If strenuous activities cause the increased levels of K then the conclusion would be invalid. In that case the evidence would state that strenuous activity forces the body to create more enzyme K. By knowing that strenuous activity does not create more enzyme we are strengthening the conclusion.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Buix0065 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:46 pm
fitzgerald23 wrote:Whats the conclusion?

Enzyme K contributes to improved performance in strenuous activities

Why?

Because above average levels of K are in weightlifters and sprinters

The question is asking for evidence as you how to make the reasoning stronger

A. Incorrect. They never state that its the most important, just that its a contributing factor. There could be plenty of other more important factors

B. Incorrect. Whether or not it has no other function is irrelevant to contributing to performance

C. Incorrect. Again its a contributing factor. Its not required. It just may make you perform better

D. Incorrect. Completely irrelevant. Who it helps more is unimportant.

E. Correct. The conclusion states that enzyme K leads to improved performance. If strenuous activities cause the increased levels of K then the conclusion would be invalid. In that case the evidence would state that strenuous activity forces the body to create more enzyme K. By knowing that strenuous activity does not create more enzyme we are strengthening the conclusion.
Got it--thanks for the response, your reasoning for answer 'A' makes sense as to why it's incorrect. I think initially in my head I had the conclusion as "increased levels of enzyme K improved performance...."