a good sc question...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

a good sc question...

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 pm
A controversial figure throughout most of his public life, the Black leader Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.

[A] that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.

that some Blacks return to the African land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him.

[C] that some Blacks return to Africa which was the land which symbolized the possibility of freedom to him.

[D] some Black's returning to Africa which was the land that to him symbolized the possibility of freedom.

[E] some Black's return to the land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him, Africa.

The OA given is A.

I had a confusion between A and B, please could anybody help... its urgent!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by yourshail123 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 am
**Please make sure to underline the appropriate part of the sentence** :)

A controversial figure throughout most of his public life, the Black leader Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.

[A] that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.

that some Blacks return to the African land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him.

[C] that some Blacks return to Africa which was the land which symbolized the possibility of freedom to him.

[D] some Black's returning to Africa which was the land that to him symbolized the possibility of freedom.

[E] some Black's return to the land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him, Africa.

Option A) the summative modifier inside the comma ('the land that') doesn't modify the noun idea (Africa) logically and clearly. The context of the sentence needs usage of either only 'Africa' or African land.
Correct Answer is [spoiler]B)[/spoiler] is clear and concise.

Hope that helps!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by naveenchandra kv » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:48 am
If you see the structure of the sentence, Markus advocated that some blacks return to africa and africa is the land that symbolized the possibility of freedom.

It does not say that return of blacks symbolises the freedom as explained in the answer B. Its all about meaning here.

Option B changes the meaning of the sentence by indicating that return of blacks to the african land symbolizes freedom which is not true as per Markus idea.

So always understand the meaning before approaching the problem.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:48 pm
[email protected] wrote:A controversial figure throughout most of his public life, the Black leader Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.

IMO "FREEDOM TO HIM" in B suggests that sentence is talking about FREEDOM OF BLACK LEADER. The placement of TO HIM as a non-essential modifier avoids such confusion in A.

Secondly, the use of SYMBOLIZED as a verb in A suggests that MARUS viewed something in past. But the use of SYMBOLIZING has a degree of CONTINUITY in present as well (changing meaning)

Thirdly, THE LAND THAT SYMBOLIZED THE POSSIBILITY is used a modifier to AFRICA, referring to entire land of AFRICA. The use of THE AFRICAN LAND in my view does not carry same connotation.

IMO A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm
[email protected] wrote:A controversial figure throughout most of his public life, the Black leader Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.

The OA given is A.

I had a confusion between A and B, please could anybody help... its urgent!!!

B: Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to the African land symbolizing the possibility of freedom.
Here, the modifier is RESTRICTIVE.
It describes a return to ONE SPECIFIC African land: the African Land SYMBOLIZING THE POSSIBILITY OF FREEDOM.
The implication is that there are OTHER African lands to which people NEED NOT RETURN.
Not the intended meaning.

A: Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that symbolized the possibility of freedom.
Here, the modifier is NON-RESTRICTIVE.
It simply offers NON-ESSENTIAL information about Africa:
Africa, the land that symbolized the possibility of freedom.
This conveys the intended meaning: that some people should return to AFRICA -- not one specific African land, but the ENTIRE CONTINENT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:19 am
in B, "freedom to him" changes the meaning. in A, the meaning is"to him, African land symbolizes fredom" .

is my thinking correct?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by nisagl750 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:08 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: B: Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to the African land symbolizing the possibility of freedom.
Here, the modifier is RESTRICTIVE.
It describes a return to ONE SPECIFIC African land: the African Land SYMBOLIZING THE POSSIBILITY OF FREEDOM.
The implication is that there are OTHER African lands to which people NEED NOT RETURN.
Not the intended meaning.

A: Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that symbolized the possibility of freedom.
Here, the modifier is NON-RESTRICTIVE.
It simply offers NON-ESSENTIAL information about Africa:
Africa, the land that symbolized the possibility of freedom.
This conveys the intended meaning: that some people should return to AFRICA -- not one specific African land, but the ENTIRE CONTINENT.
I was struck between A & C
Can you please explain what is wrong with C?
Is it just wordy? Or there is some other solid reasoning to eliminate it?

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 pm
nisagl750 wrote:I was struck between A & C
Can you please explain what is wrong with C?
Is it just wordy? Or there is some other solid reasoning to eliminate it?
"which" has limited application in GMAT -
1. for non-essential modifier
2. as an object of a perposition.

in C --- "which" is used for essential modifier, Eliminate.

Hope this helps !!