This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I face confusions while attempting this type of question in RC

The passage is primarily concerned with :
A)evaluating the arguments of various groups
B) presenting different views
C) contrasting different views
D) tracing the progress of the development of some technology.
E) proposing solutions to a problem

I am basically concerned about option A
When exactly is "evaluation of an argument" the primary concern of the passage ?

Pardon me if I am being too general.

Additional Info :
Was attempting Official Guide 13th Edition RC Que 86.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am
To evaluate someone's arguments means to examine someone's opinion and to determine whether this opinion makes a sound judgement. You need to answer the question "WHY does the author present these facts and opinions?" "What is this person trying to show or prove?"
Also when dealing with Structure Questions like this one it is useful to read 1 or 2 first sentences of each paragraph and try to make a kind of a map of the passage.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by miteshsholay » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:33 am
Thanks Kasia.
Please see if I got this correct.

For the main purpose of a passage to be "evaluation of anything", say evaluation of views or definitions or findings etc, an author should pass judgments about those whether they are good or bad or strong or whatever.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jupiterous » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 am
I am two weeks away from my GMAT. and want a help on Main Idea question. My accuracy in mock tests has been 30% in main idea/primacy purpose questions. Any kind of tip will help, thanks!