• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

A farmer constructs a fence along the northern edg

This topic has 3 expert replies and 1 member reply

A farmer constructs a fence along the northern edg

Post
A farmer constructs a fence along the northern edge of his property, using materials such
that he places a post every 7 meters. if he uses 100 posts, how many meters will the fence span?

a)686
b)693
c)700
d)707
e)770

Please assist with above problem.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
alanforde800Maximus wrote:
A farmer constructs a fence along the northern edge of his property, using materials such
that he places a post every 7 meters. if he uses 100 posts, how many meters will the fence span?

a)686
b)693
c)700
d)707
e)770

Please assist with above problem.
Let's look for a pattern...

1 post: fence span = 0 meters
2 posts: fence span = 7 meters
3 posts: fence span = 7 + 7 = 14 meters
4 posts: fence span = 7 + 7 + 7 = 21 meters
5 posts: fence span = 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 = 28 meters
.
.
.
We can see that, for n posts, we add 7 n-1 times
.
.
.
100 posts: fence span = sum of 99 sevens = (99)(7) = 693 meters
Answer: B

RELATED VIDEO
- Growth tables: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-word-problems/video/929

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of our free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
Hi alanforde800Maximus,

This is an example of a 'fence post' problem (literally and figuratively). The 'key' to these types of questions is to remember that there's a 'first post' that you have to include in your total. Here's a much simpler example of this type of math - if you read pages 2 through 5 (inclusive) of a book, then how many pages did you read? It's 4 pages (not 3), since you read pages 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Thus, we have the first post, then another post every 7 meters. That means that we're 99(7) meters away from the first post once we plant the last post.

(99)(7) = 693

Final Answer: B

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

_________________
Contact Rich at Rich.C@empowergmat.com

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
11 Aug 2012
Posted:
31 messages
Post
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
alanforde800Maximus wrote:
A farmer constructs a fence along the northern edge of his property, using materials such
that he places a post every 7 meters. if he uses 100 posts, how many meters will the fence span?

a)686
b)693
c)700
d)707
e)770

Please assist with above problem.
Let's look for a pattern...

1 post: fence span = 0 meters
2 posts: fence span = 7 meters
3 posts: fence span = 7 + 7 = 14 meters
4 posts: fence span = 7 + 7 + 7 = 21 meters
5 posts: fence span = 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 = 28 meters
.
.
.
We can see that, for n posts, we add 7 n-1 times
.
.
.
100 posts: fence span = sum of 99 sevens = (99)(7) = 693 meters
Answer: B

RELATED VIDEO
- Growth tables: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-word-problems/video/929
Thank you. I'm working on a similar problem. I'm trying to uncover the pattern involved.

A farmer plans to build a fence next to a stretch of driveway. Each post will be one foot wide and there will be three feet of space between each post. If the driveway is 65 feet long and the fence will be on only one side of the driveway, how many posts will the farmer need to complete the fence?

A.16
B.17
C.18
D.19
E.20

The pattern I'm seeing is:

(#) posts + 3x feet = # of feet

(1) post + 3(0) = 1 feet
(2) posts + 3(1) = 5 feet
(3) posts + 3(2) = 9 feet
(4) posts + 3(3) = 13 feet
.
.
.
.
(17) posts + 3(16) = 65 feet

Is there another pattern that I'm not seeing in this problem? I understand the quick way to get the answer is 65/4, but I want to make sure I understand the pattern. Thanks so much.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
Poisson wrote:
Thank you. I'm working on a similar problem. I'm trying to uncover the pattern involved.

A farmer plans to build a fence next to a stretch of driveway. Each post will be one foot wide and there will be three feet of space between each post. If the driveway is 65 feet long and the fence will be on only one side of the driveway, how many posts will the farmer need to complete the fence?

A.16
B.17
C.18
D.19
E.20

The pattern I'm seeing is:

(#) posts + 3x feet = # of feet

(1) post + 3(0) = 1 feet
(2) posts + 3(1) = 5 feet
(3) posts + 3(2) = 9 feet
(4) posts + 3(3) = 13 feet
.
.
.
.
(17) posts + 3(16) = 65 feet

Is there another pattern that I'm not seeing in this problem? I understand the quick way to get the answer is 65/4, but I want to make sure I understand the pattern. Thanks so much.
Looks good to me.
So, algebraically speaking, if n = # of posts, then the length of the fence (including posts) = n + 3(n-1)
= n + 3n - 3
= 4n - 3

So, for a 65-foot fence, we set the equation to 65....
4n - 3 = 65
Solve to get n = 17

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for our free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of our free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider

Top First Responders*

1 GMATGuruNY 56 first replies
2 Brent@GMATPrepNow 51 first replies
3 Jay@ManhattanReview 49 first replies
4 fskilnik@GMATH 46 first replies
5 Rich.C@EMPOWERgma... 23 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

180 posts
2 image description fskilnik@GMATH

GMATH Teacher

162 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

94 posts
4 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

91 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

78 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts