A confidential survey

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

A confidential survey

by gmatjeet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am
A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs. However, an investigation into working conditions at the company showed nothing uncommonly bad. Therefore, Company P's consulting firm concluded that the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

Each of the following, if true, casts doubt on the consulting firm's conclusion EXCEPT:

A In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O's facilities.
B. Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions.
C. The consulting firm's conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P's employees.
D. The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee.
E. A battery of tests performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems

OA: D

I am confused between B and D.
I chose B because how workers in other companies are doing should have little to do with workers in company P because there is no relation shown in the argument. Can someone please help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 am
Hi,

Premise: confidential survey revealed 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs.
Counter Premise: an investigation into working conditions at the company showed nothing uncommonly bad.
Conclusion: the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

IMO the consulting firm's conclusion is irrelevant to the reasons, as mentioned in survey,for the dissatisfaction. The argument assumes the possibilities for dissatisfaction as
1. bad working conditions,&
2. psychological problems.

Hence detailing of the reasons ,mentioned in the survey, for dissatisfaction by employees is totally irrelevant becoz these loopholes are already closed by the author. Hence D is the strongest contender.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mathewmithun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:00 pm
why not E?
option E. A battery of tests performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems
This point does not have any relation to consulting firm's conclusion on Company P's employees as point E talks about Acme's employees.
in the statement E, if acme's employee was corrected to P's employee, then I would go with D only by negating options a,b,c and e.

Legendary Member

by killer1387 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:24 am
Hey Mathewmithun,
I just paraphrased and got on to Option D, overlooking Acme i thot its d company. Serious flaw man.
Experts please cum up wid ne hidden link present here among argument, option E, Option D and the OA.

Legendary Member

by killer1387 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:12 am
Guys found an old link for the neverending discussion on dis problem:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/job-dissatis ... 14521.html