780 (50Q, 48V)- Debrief

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

780 (50Q, 48V)- Debrief

by starburyptgod » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:36 pm
Took the GMAT on 11/7/2009. Full debrief to come this week. Hopefully I'll have some pointers and tips that will help some people out.
Last edited by starburyptgod on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by Ludacrispat26 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:23 pm
1) Congrats. That is amazing.

2) I love the username. As a New Yorker, much appreciated.

3) Debrief will be appreciated, I'm sure.

4) Wow. Congrats again (and go work for ManhattanGMAT or something. Damn lol).
Don't stop believin'...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bvn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 pm
Great Score, so impressived

Waiting for your debrief, hope to learn your verbal skills

Congrats

by barira1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 pm
:) WOW , great score

by starburyptgod » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 pm
Background: I went to a Top30 Private University, majored in Finance/Accounting/Economics, and had a decent GPA (3.67). I got a 1440 on the SAT, so I felt that I could do pretty well on the GMAT.

Materials Used:
Kaplan- not recommended
Kaplan 800- not recommended
Manhattan-Number Properties- recommended
Manhattan-Word Translations- highly recommended (contains question types of the "hard" variety)
Manhattan- VIC's- recommended
Manhattan- SC- recommended, but not as highly as some on BTG
Powerscore Critical Reasoning- THE most helpful guide (besides the OG)
OG12- goes without saying
OG Quant
OG Verbal

Practice Tests:
Manhattan 1- 670 (Huge disaster, had to pause the quant section and took about 2 hours to complete the quant section)
Manhattan 2- 700 (focused on finishing Quant on time)
Manhattan 3- 600 (Disaster, hungover)
Manhattan 4- 740
Manhattan 5- 720
Manhattan 6- 730
Princeton Review- 670
GMAT Prep- 750
GMAT Prep- 770

Real GMAT:
First attempt- 710 (early Oct)
Second attempt- 780

Study Strategy:
I began studying in July (was supposed to take the test in early September, more on that later). My strategy was to go through each of my guides - cover to cover - and leave the 2-3 weeks prior to my test date to devote to the OG guides. I felt that I would retain more by fully concentrating on one subject, mastering it (or as close as I could get to mastering it), and then moving on to the next one.

Quant:
I knew that Quant would be my weak point. It's usually a joke among my friends that I'm pretty bad at math. As I began practicing (I used the Kaplan questions as a diagnostic before I start studying), I found that I was pretty good at Problem Solving (~85% hit rate) and I was terrible at Data Sufficiency (~50% hit rate). The Manhattan Guides were invaluable in "refreshing my memory".
FYI: I got a 700 on the SAT math

Vebal:
Verbal is my bread and butter. I do well with reading comprehension questions, so I didn't expect those to be a problem (started with ~90% hit rate). I wasn't as strong in Critical Reasoning as I would have expected coming in (~80% hit rate), and I was pretty bad at Sentence Correction (~70%). Powerscore's Critical Reasoning Bible is, in my opinion, the absolute best guide out there. It really dissects what the test makers are testing you on and what they are looking to trick you with. After completing that, I expected to not miss a single Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension question on a test (it also helps with Reading Comprehension). The key for me with Sentence Correction was to take my time and remind myself that, for four of the answer choices, there is at least one definitive reason why the answer is incorrect. As long as you know the rules (all of them are in Manhattan SC), you should be able to answer every SC correction with confidence.

Advice:
- I truly believe that the most effective way to beat the GMAT is by doing as many practice problems as possible. This advice might go against the common advice on this board (quality over quantity), but I think that the more questions you see, the faster you will be able to recognize how to solve a particular problem (the key to the test).
- Be aware of how you are doing. Again, this advice goes against some common GMAT advice. You know that right off the bat you're going to get a medium-level question. Provided that you have seen enough questions to get a feel for the test, you should be able to recognize and differentiate medium and hard questions. Make sure you get the medium question correct but do them quickly, so you will have enough time for the hard question (where you really get your points).
- Don't be scared by Manhattan's quant. The real GMAT is easier. Also, don't get freaked out by the combination/permutation questions in Manhattan. The real GMAT doesn't ask many (I only saw one), and they are typically pretty basic. The GMAT also classifies these as "hard", so getting these are a good thing. It means you're probably doing well, you can solve them quickly, and you can be pretty confident that you're right as long as you know the correct formula to use.

First attempt:
The night before I read that it wasn't a good idea to be full while taking the test, because it could make you drowsy. So the next day I didn't eat enough, and went easy on the caffeine (I was afraid of getting the jitters). I ended up crashing during the Verbal section (got a 38, which I think is the 86%ile, while I had consistently been getting in the 99th%ile).
Lesson Learned: Trust your own instincts. I'm the type of person that needs food to function. I eat very often. I also need caffeine to function. If it weren't for coffee, I would probably sleep 14hrs a day.

Second Attempt:
Ate well before the test. Had 3 eggs and a bagel before I left for the test center, ate a Subway sub right before I went in, and had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the break periods. I also had a Red Bull shot during each break. I truly think that this made the difference.

Final note: My first practice test was an utter disaster. I "bombed" my first attempt. If I can do it, you can too. The GMAT can be beaten, you just need to put the time in.

by starburyptgod » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm
Ludacrispat26 wrote:1) Congrats. That is amazing.

haha, as you can probably tell I came up with the username before Marbury went insane.

GMAT Score:690

by Ludacrispat26 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm
starburyptgod wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:1) Congrats. That is amazing.

haha, as you can probably tell I came up with the username before Marbury went insane.
haha yeah, and i came up with my screename in 5th grade when ludacris was still cool/relevant

i also got a 700 on math SAT, attend a top 30 university, and get poked fun at for relatively poor math skills. if i do close to as well as you, i'll be thrilled.

congrats again.
Don't stop believin'...

by Gmat09_5ALL » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:18 am
Congratz starburyptgod. Great score

by mp2437 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 am
congrats on the score man. As a fellow NY'er, I like the screenname as well. I actually went to the same high school as Marbury, and graduated with his cousin Sebastian Telfair, 2 good ball players, but typical ball player problems.

Best of luck to you on apps.

by DMX7 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 pm
What were your Quant/Verbal score breakdowns on the Manhattan Gmat? Thanks

by starburyptgod » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:55 pm
DMX7 wrote:What were your Quant/Verbal score breakdowns on the Manhattan Gmat? Thanks
It think I typically ranged from 46-50 in Quant and I would always get 47+ in V.

by starburyptgod » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:57 pm
mp2437 wrote:congrats on the score man. As a fellow NY'er, I like the screenname as well. I actually went to the same high school as Marbury, and graduated with his cousin Sebastian Telfair, 2 good ball players, but typical ball player problems.

Best of luck to you on apps.
Has there ever been a top player to come out of Lincoln that didn't have problems? What's the deal with Lance?

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:25 pm
me so jealous :p

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by xela760 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:19 pm
starburyptgod, your score is just amazing. congrats!!!!!!!

i have two questions for you.hope you would't mind

1.Are the questions in the mgmat math guides 700+ difficulty questions?

secondly,should one just focus on the last 100 questions of every section in OG? since every one on the forum is saying

quality over quantity.
thanks for your anticipated reply

GMAT Score:680

by Alcololz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:13 am
starburyptgod-

I read your debrief, and appreciate the insight. But when I took the exam (680 first time, taking it again in a few weeks), I wasn't allowed to access any of my stuff during the breaks. I would definitely have liked an energy shot or a quick snack between the math and the verbal.

How did you go about getting that? Does anyone know if it is up to the testing center? Did I get different treatment?