Magoosh

760 (Q 49 V45)

This topic has 2 member replies
lazer613 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages

760 (Q 49 V45)

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:05 pm
Just got home. 760. I'm ecstatic! I didn't spend very much time preparing (3-6 weeks, less and an hour per day) and I'm obviously very happy with my score.

More details tomorrow.

Just one thing: Quantitative was harder than expected. Was hurrying at the end to answer all the questions. Had 5 questions to go and 5 minutes remaining. I was guessing, honestly.

Lazer

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
lazer613 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages
Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:12 am
OK. Here are some details of my preparations and my experience taking the test:

My preparations. NOT my advice for you!

On Memorial Day, about 7 weeks ago, I decided to apply to an MBA program which, of course, required taking the GMAT. A few days later, I took out some GMAT prep books from the library: Kaplan, Princeton Review and Barrons.

I started by learning the basics about the test, i.e. that there are 3 sections - AWA, Quant and Verbal. Over the next 3-4 weeks I did a few practice questions here and there. Not really studying, just warming up my brain to the way the test works and the type of questions that are asked. Probably did a total of less than 100 practice questions during that time.

The diagnostics indicated that I needed the most work on verb and less on quantitative.

On June 21, I knew I wasn't ready yet, so I renewed my library books for another 3 weeks. Very Happy

I finally got around to doing more studying around July 1. Still didn't do much (< 1 hour/day) until July 8. After looking at the comments on this site and others, I decided to return the library books and purchase the OG11 and concentrate solely on it for my final week of preparation. I was surprised to find that there was very little in the way of explanation or strategy. OG11 consists primarily of practice questions and their explanations.

On July 9, I scheduled my GMAT for the following week, July 16.

I decided to do 100 practice questions from OG11 for each section (RC, CR, SC, PS and DS), trying for 100 each day M-F and then use the weekend to review all sections.

I did the 3 Verbal sections by Friday and didn't get around to looking at the Quant sections until Sunday night 6pm. I know. You're thinking, "OMG, this guy is nuts."

Just realize that I'm generally a very good test taker (or so I thought!) and I'm very familiar with the concepts in the Math portion. DS was new to me, but it didn't seem too difficult. I do NOT recommend this procrastination strategy. I'm just relating my personal experience.

By Monday morning I had done my 100 questions on everything except PS and I finished those up on the train to the test center on Monday night.

My experience from studying for the GMAT was that most of the questions that I got wrong on the practice tests were a result of my not reading the question carefully enough or, worse, simply mismarking my intended answer. I was convinced I would do well if I simply read the questions slowly and carefully and rechecked each of my answers before confirming.

My brain was ready.

Oh... As far as AWA is concerned, I read the overview of how it works and the strategy in PR and Barrons, which I thought were good. I'm not a terrific writer, but I can organize my thoughts fairly well. I also knew that the AWA portion was not considered as highly as other portions, if at all.

More in next post...

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:48 am
Hi - just got a dissapointing score (<650; >600; multiple of 230 ... you get the idea).

I plan on retaking in 3-6 weeks - the same time frame you mentioned. Can you please share your strategy for covering this in a short time and scoring well?
Thanks!

regards, Jking

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 108 topics
2 ardz24 67 topics
3 Roland2rule 63 topics
4 LUANDATO 50 topics
5 swerve 43 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

152 posts
2 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

106 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
4 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

96 posts
5 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

86 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts