750 -- 48Q, 44V Thank you BTG and MGMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

750 -- 48Q, 44V Thank you BTG and MGMAT

by DavidFreed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 pm
I'm a long time reader and first time writer. I always found it helpful when people talked about their experiences directly after the test.

For a little background, I just graduated from University as an engineer and am going to work in management consulting. I have always been decent at math and wasn't able to improve much beyond the 48/49 range in my studying. I will say that MGMAT did help me a ton with NP and WT in quant. I would suggest concentrating highly on the verbal and not worrying excessively about the quant as the most discrepancies seem to be in the verbal section. I spent a ton of time on SC and CR, using the free sections in e-gmat.com as a supplement. I took the Manhattan GMAT course and scored 640, 680, 720, 740 and 680 on their practice tests. Good luck everyone!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by sirisha.g » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:09 pm
Hey congratulations. Good score!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jgdjgd » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:29 am
Congrats David!

Can you share with us your verbal strategy?

Good luck for your application!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by skins81 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 am
nice score! Can you share your quant prep?

by DavidFreed » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:22 am
In terms of my strategies, I really don't have a magic formula. I read through the basic sections of all 8 MGMAT books while interspersing practice tests. Once I had taken three tests (one at the beginning of my prep class, one at the middle and one at the end) I then evaluated my weak areas and read the advanced sections of the books. I realized my SC was the weakest of my areas so I spent extra time on SC with e-GMAT.com. In order to practice for harder quant I used the MGMAT's challenge questions and a few iPhone apps for some more practice while waiting in line or whenever I had a few minutes. Two days before the test, I stopped studying and just relaxed. Hope that helps!

GMAT Score:730

by 007.r.mason » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am
David

Your story is very interesting. It seems that you had a clear strategy in mind an executed efficiently on the same. Can you share some more details of the strategy. I am specifically interested in the following:

1. SC preparation: MGMAT and egmat --> how did you use these resources to improve your SC. I have access to both and am interested in the strategy you followed.

2. You seem to have continuous score improvement in MGMAT tests. What is the approach that you followed that helped you to improved continuously.

The above thoughts could be very useful for me and others who are giving the GMAT in a coming weeks.
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!

by anirudhsaraf7 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 am
@ David Many Congratulation... Its a dream score..

@Mason

Hi Mason i am also thinking of purchasing e-gmat SC module.

Just wanted to know, as you already have access to e-gmat, that does it cover the SC questions from OG12.

As they have mentioned that their application files have references to OG questions.

If they cover all the OG SC questions like MGMAT does then it will be very helpful.

Also your thoughts on e-gmat SC module is it worth buying?..

I know this depends on ones level in english but your opinion will be good indicator.

by 007.r.mason » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm
@anirudhsaraf7

eGMAT covers all questions from OG 12. Their application files are fantastic as they tell you when to attempt what OG questions. In my opinion, this is more effective than the MGMAT method where the OG questions are only divided by topics such as verb tenses.

I would recommend eGMAT to improve your score in SC. Its an excellent course. I can only say that the course is 10X better than Payal's explanations in the SC forum since these explanations are coupled with voice over and graphics. So if you like Payal's explanations, you would love the course.

To summerize.. eGMAT + OG12 + MGMAT SC book = great SC preparation..

let me know if this helps.
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!

by anirudhsaraf7 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:29 am
Hi Mason

This is exactly what i was looking for.

I am very thankful to you for your timely advice.

All the Best for your Prep.

Kind Regards
Anirudh

by 007.r.mason » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:17 am
You may also want to look at what some others are saying about using e-gmat along with MGMAT.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/690-in-three ... 66041.html

[/url]
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!