740!! Should I retake??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by topalankar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:56 am
maihuna wrote:
gmataspirant123 wrote: Working in one of the biggest software makers in the world/3 years experience till date.!!
and one of the worst....if it is one of those infy/wipro/tcs/mahindra's or like. do u guys really take pride in working for such menial work env just because its largest...size do matter but does it really at all scale and type...
Wonder what makes you feel they are the worst...All the above mentioned companies have great success stories to boast of. And are indeed inspirations for thousands of entrepreneurs like me.

P.S: sorry could not stop myself from replying after reading the post.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:50 am
Hey bro. Yes I am taking the GMAT again. I am lookin for a 740 or more too. :-)

700 got me just one admit at Smith school with no scholarship. So have to.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members

by vineeshp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 am
topalankar wrote: Wonder what makes you feel they are the worst...All the above mentioned companies have great success stories to boast of. And are indeed inspirations for thousands of entrepreneurs like me.

Good one! At the end of the day, it doesnt matter if the company was large or small. What matters is what difference you were able to make and what you did while you were there. It is not as if Infy/Wipro are a bunch of losers.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by Michael Birdsall » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 am
I think this depends on your goal.

If your goal is getting an MBA, don't spend another second on the GMAT. Putting the time you would have spent on preparing for your GMAT again into preparing a solid application is likely a much better use of your time.

If your goal is to get a top 1 percentile score, retake it but realize that this has nothing to do with increasing your chances of getting into a top MBA program.

My view is that after scoring over 700, spending more time on the GMAT is a distraction. Unless you want to become a GMAT tutor.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ngupta27 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 am
Congrats and best of luck

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by gmataspirant123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 am
Well, as some of you asked for the AWA, am posting it here for the benefit of all. I am sure some of you must have already grabbed this link. But, just follow the instructions given at : https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6- ... 64327.html

There is just nothing more you need to score an easy 6.0 on AWA. I don't even remember my topics in the AWA(seriously), as I was so sleeeeeeepy in the exam :D.. You can imagine, what content I would have written. I simply used 6-7 lines(one/two for each paragraph) from the above link and put some content around it. That's it :):)

One suggestion, which I found on some sites : Write ~300 words atleast on each of the topics. The computer program which marks your essays gives better score for longer essays ..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:16 am
There's nothing wrong with repeating the exam once to see whether you can raise your score, as long as doing so does not compromise the quality of your application essays. If your simulation scores were consistently higher, go for it!
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

by Sandeepshenoy7 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:34 am
Hi gmataspirant123,

Congrats for your score. In my opinion the scores you have got are very good. But if you feel you deserve better, go ahead and get that 760+ :)

After reading your post I felt you might be the guy who could solve some of the dilemma I am facing.Like you, even I come from a similar IT background(India). Aged 24, and have around 2years of work ex.Not big achievements to boast of at the school/UG level, but a decent performance at work. My main questions to you would be:

Firstly why MBA! and then Why an MBA abroad? The reason to ask is, you mentioned you got admits into few top 10 B-schools in India.So why not pursue here instead of going abroad?

The top 3 International B-Schools you wish to join and have shortlisted, is it because of the brand name or for a particular specialization they are offering?
And looking at the average work ex these schools ask, do you feel 3yrs of work ex is sufficient?

Waiting for a reply from your end.

Cheers,
Sandeep

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members

by maihuna » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:48 am
well all businesses are inspiring only if u mean money making any how, that way 2G 3G Balwa/Raja/Chawla everybody is inspiration.

Even a prostitute has certain quality, as long as she boast of those qualities I do not have any issue,but otherwise I must comment out on the flaw/gap i see.

this gentlemen, though not from this lot, but many others come with this attitude that they are working for best companies, in the sense, the kind of work and collegues that they are having are the best of the best. I completely disagree that these companies have any such abilities. these companies are like carrying daily wage laborers at the best in white collar jobs.

you may disagree but on what fact, i will welcome any thing if that is a miss from my side.
topalankar wrote:
maihuna wrote:
gmataspirant123 wrote: Working in one of the biggest software makers in the world/3 years experience till date.!!
and one of the worst....if it is one of those infy/wipro/tcs/mahindra's or like. do u guys really take pride in working for such menial work env just because its largest...size do matter but does it really at all scale and type...
Wonder what makes you feel they are the worst...All the above mentioned companies have great success stories to boast of. And are indeed inspirations for thousands of entrepreneurs like me.

Charged up again to beat the beast :)

by iqy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 am
Hey everyone,

This looks like the perfect place to find like-minded people applying for Fall-2012.

As for gmataspirant123, all the best with ur second attempt. I personally believe in doing what one wants to do. I prefer making mistakes and learning from them, as opposed to heeding advice from others because 'they' think its a mistake. What is wrong for one need not be so for another. So all the best. Im sure you will crack this one.............just dont stop at 760 or 780, aim 800.

Iqbal[/quote]

by joeschmoe28 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:33 pm
This thread is a joke right? Have you ever read anything anywhere that says that the difference between a 740 and 750-800 is meaningful? I mean literally, anything at all? Anywhere?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 pm
You should keep taking the test until you score 800.
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ariz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 pm
While it is true that a 740 is a very good GMAT score for US applicant, it is only an average score for international applicants from China and India. Unless the applicant have a set of very unique experience or accomplishments to set him/herself apart from others in the same country, otherwise the GMAT score is pretty much going to be the only difference for applicants from these countries

With that said, I'd probably spend my time trying to make sure I have some great essays instead of bump up the GMAT score. Great essays mean significantly more than another 20-40 points in GMAT for the adcom, especially for those with high GMAT score (720+)

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:34 pm
Quick and simple... No need to retake!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:06 pm
it's clear that a 740 hurts your ego more than your application

If you've decided to retake the exam, do it asap before you lose your magical powers.......if the night before your retake is a repeat of the old, then evaluate deferring your appointment.......a higher score is always better than a lower score, especially for an Indian IT Male (IIM)

having said that, catch hold of an expert and seek his/ her view (not yours) on your overall candidature......given that you are an IIM, you have to have an exceptional story to stand out.....

what are your extracurriculars like? how socially conscious are you (NGO etc.), how solid are your goals???? how coherent are they with your experience, if not how clear are you about the transition? are critical questions to answer...and they take time to attain shape....

We are still in June....you can take the test tomorrow also, if you so wish...coz dates are always available for the next 2-3 days....i don't think schools will scold you for retaking....

In summary, go to a counsellor, discuss your profile, estimate time to write a good application, address weaknesses....(there will be many, no matter who you are)....if time is sufficient, retake the test...