740!! Should I retake??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hardikm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 am
GMATAspirant,

I talked to many people from AdCom from few business schools. They have same opinion, GMAT score is important but not as important as focusing on application or bringing diversity to your profile.

1. I would invest the time you are spending in repeating GMAT in learning a new language or teaching for Teach for America, NGO. This is help you much more than improving GMAT score by 20 points.

2. GMAT is considered as filtering criterion not an admission criterion. I had a friend who scored 780 in GMAT and rejected by HBS, Stanford, NYU, Columbia and Duke. She wasted one year as she only applied to all aspirational schools. If you really want to improve your profile probably work for few months in the related field you want to work in after MBA. Say if you want to get into Finance, go and work for say IT dept for some bank, instead of working for outsourcing firm.

3. Another pointer for AdCom, they dont like candidates who take GMAT 4-5 times without any improvements. Might apply in your case but say some candidates, get 650 and get other scores around 650 then well its a negative factor as they can surely tell you dont know how to self-evaluate and focus on other important points in application process.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by slavtoad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:52 am
Unfortunately this cockalorum will probably get into B-school. He needs about 10 years of growing up before he will be fit for it.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:19 am
Don't worry about the negative repercusions of repeating: apply for GMAT instructor positions, which often require a 99th percentile score, as a way to earn extra money for your MBA
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members

by Shawn@StratusPrep » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm
Hi gmataspirant123,

Although you're a bit disappointed, you've earned a great score. From my experience coaching individuals with similar GMAT scores for admission into schools you are interested in, I believe devoting your time and energy into developing a clear admissions strategy for each of your schools would be more effective, rather than attempting to take the exam again. There are other components that are equally or even more important than your GMAT score such as your GPA and prior work experience all of which should be highlighted in your application as well.

Best of luck!
Shawn

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ikaplan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 am
Great score! No need to retake. Use your time wisely and spend your time on the essays. Good luck!
"Commitment is more than just wishing for the right conditions. Commitment is working with what you have."

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by siddaggarwal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 am
I have a plus 700 score and I have to say unless you score a 790, your score won't matter at all. The plus/minus ratio is 40 points. 40 points less or more you could have scored due to your talent level. So worrying about a 740 is moot at this point. Congrats on the great score!!!!

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:57 am
You should take the exam until you score an 800. Only *then* will you be a Jedi.
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

GMAT Score:700

by mirantdon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 am
What a useless thread .
better start applying for presidency of the United States :-P