740 (Q50, V40) -- About 30 Day Prep

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

740 (Q50, V40) -- About 30 Day Prep

by kodakfan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:48 am
Hello! I have just finished my GMATs today so AWA and IR scores are not out yet. I discovered this online community about two weeks ago and found it supremely helpful, especially as a support system. Even though I have never actively posted, it was really insightful reading other people's posts about their successes, tips, and advice. Since I feel I've gleaned a lot from other people's posts, I wanted to share my own experience.

ABOUT ME
------
I'm an American student who just finished her undergraduate at a Top 5 college. Undergraduate major was Applied Math/Econ.

PREPARATION:
------
Time : About 30-31 days; Week 1-3 Review, Week 4 Practice Tests

Books :
1) OG, Ed. 13 -- This was the most cumulative and thorough book. The diagnostic helped me pinpoint my weaknesses and also the very extensive (although dense) chapters gave me a really good review of things. It is quite a bit dense though so I found it helpful to post-it note important sections and also make flashcards on the side. I also used the extra 50 IR questions and found the real GMAT problems to be pretty similiar.

2) MGMAT Series (SC, Advanced Quant) -- Based on online Amazon reviews and also other BTG members, I decide to go for the MGMAT series of books. I bought the SC and Advanced Quant and both were very engaging and also easy-to-follow. Advanced Quant is highly recommended for those who want to perform 700+.

3) Veritas Prep (Sentence Correction) -- It was only good for extra prep; not a lot of strategies just a set of 125 + questions and thorough answers. The explainations did help me catch mistakes though
------
Test Strategy/Tips :
GMATPrep 1: 690 (first practice test I took)
GMATPrep 2: 730 (took two days right before my actual test)
MGMAT 1: 700
MGMAT 2: 710
MGMAT 3: 710
MGMAT 4: 730
MGMAT 5: 750
MGMAT 6: 720

NOTES :
I really appreciated the MGMAT tests. Even though they were definitely tough, they helped me zone in my key weakness: time management, especially in the Quant section. I knew I could get a higher score than what I was getting because when I did the math problems untimed, my accurate rate was pretty high. However, under time constraints, I'd always run out of time the last 2-3 questions. The most important thing, I think, is to know when to give up on a question and move on. When you hit the 2-minute mark for any math problem and it's still not clicking, I'd say just narrow it down and make an educated guess rather than sweat it out for another 2 minutes and risk rushing through easier problems that you could solve if given a bit more time.

TEST DAY REFLECTIONS :
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with my Verbal Score because I had been doing 42+ on the practice exams. When I got my Verbal score, I was a little bit miffed; I generally perform better on Verbal sections of standarized testing. However, I suppose I had decided to focus more on the Quant section and didn't do much Verbal prep aside from the SCs. Overall though, I'm still very happy with my score. Of course, if I had managed to get a V42, my score probs would have been a 750 but I'm not splitting hairs over it.

I'd say for you to go into the exam thinking it's a practice exam; relax, smile, and take all your allotted breaks. I found even just pacing in the hallway or making a trip to the waterfoundation is enough for me to relax and gear up for the next section. Also, it helps to visit the test center before and locate the bathrooms before you start.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:26 am
Congrats on a great score, in only 1 month!

by shreerajp99 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 pm
Hey congrats,thats a great score!
Did u refer to earlier OG editions?What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Also,did u finish the Manhattan quant books first and then move on to the advanced part?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

by cuddytime » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 pm
holy crap... what a great score! congrats!

by normalperson » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:31 am
what a great score in a very short time.
You took 6 mock tests from Manhattan.
Were they on-line test?
Where can I get those test?

by jquest2012 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 am
Congratulations - could you share how much time you spent daily for the 30 days ?

That will help . thanks JQ

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kruthika » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:22 am
awesome score... congratulations! :)

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:650

by tisrar02 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 pm
normalperson wrote:what a great score in a very short time.
You took 6 mock tests from Manhattan.
Were they on-line test?
Where can I get those test?
Whenever you buy any Manhattan GMAT book (Quant or Verbal), you automatically get access to 6 mock tests online. They are VERY useful in helping you gauge exactly what you should be working on.
Dedication is what leads to success...

by khat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 pm
Congratulations that's an awesome score

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:25 am
Congrats on the great score!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review