720 Q49, V38, AWA5.5 …being SICK

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

720 Q49, V38, AWA5.5 …being SICK

by July700 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 pm
Hi,

I wanted to share my Gmat experience just because I did the exam being sick and I think that I made some right decisions that I thought may be helpful for anyone facing the same situation.

Before the exam

I took Gmat in July and got 690.

I decided to retake it and started studying in mid September after scheduling the exam for mid October. I had so many problems during this period and couldn't study properly. I had 5 days vacation before the exam and thought that if I studied hard during those days I could make up for the lack of study of the previous month. However, the bad luck that had been with me during that month hadn't gone away and I got sick just one week before the exam. The sickness was like having flu but without fever: horrible headaches and so weak, I just wanted to stay in bed all day.

I figure out that the most important thing was to get to the exam in good health, so during those days prior to the exam I just studied a couple of hours a day.

The day of the exam

I woke up feeling like shit. My roommate told me that I looked worse than the previous days. I had the exam scheduled for 5pm. I spent all day in bed till 2 pm and after lunch I took a hot bath. This helped me relax (I would advice it to anyone taking Gmat). I didn't take any medicine during the whole day.

When I started the AWA I decided that I needed to save my energy for the Quant and Verbal part so I just completed the essays without struggling too much to find the best arguments or to find the nicest words.

During the brake after AWA I took an Ibuprofen (painkiller). I knew that it would start its effect after 30 minutes and that the effect would last about 2 hours. So I would be 'free' of headache from the minute 20 of the Quant part to approximately the minute 55 of the Verbal part.

Quant started well. In the 19th question I still had 36 minutes left- so 2 minutes per question...good. Don't know what happened but in the 29th question I had only 12 minutes left. So 12 minutes for 9 questions. I freaked out and started guessing most of the questions left. I did spend some time in the questions I thought might be faster to respond.

In the next break I was quite sad cause I thought that I had screwed it in quant. After washing my face and hands, I put my self together and I decided that it was worth it to give it a try.

Verbal started well too. However, when there was still half an hour left I felt so weak and tired. The headache was back and I had no energy. I even thought of giving up: "What a fuck am I doing here? Just wasting 4 hours and getting even sicker". Again, I decided that I had to fight till the end.

When I saw 720 I couldn't believe it, but there it was, the result of persistence and hard work. I can also tell you that this score gave me such a boost that the sickness went away soooooo faaaaast.

In summary, the advices I would give are the following:

- If you are thinking to retake the exam...JUST DO IT. With little study you can be sure you'll improve your score

- If you are sick before the exam, take it easy. It is more important to be healthy in the exam than to do too many exercises and CATs

- If you are sick the day of the exam do not waste too much energy in AWA and set that energy aside for Quant and Verbal. Plus, take your painkiller/medicine in the first brake.

- If you are thinking to give up. DO NOT DO SO. This is a computer adaptive exam, you never know how well it has gone so far

Material used: Official Guide 12th Edition, OG Review (Q and V), Manhattan SC, CR Power score Bible, BtG Flash-cards, Manhattan Fash-Cards, Gmat Prep 1 and 2, Manhattan Free CAT, Kapplan Free CAT, and so many articles and forum research from BtG. Pretty cheap and efficient (bought 3 books only)

Finally, thank you so much BtG for all the good advices I have received from this website

and...

good luck to everybody!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by girishbtg » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:28 am
July700 wrote:Hi,

I wanted to share my Gmat experience just because I did the exam being sick and I think that I made some right decisions that I thought may be helpful for anyone facing the same situation.

Before the exam

I took Gmat in July and got 690.

I decided to retake it and started studying in mid September after scheduling the exam for mid October. I had so many problems during this period and couldn't study properly. I had 5 days vacation before the exam and thought that if I studied hard during those days I could make up for the lack of study of the previous month. However, the bad luck that had been with me during that month hadn't gone away and I got sick just one week before the exam. The sickness was like having flu but without fever: horrible headaches and so weak, I just wanted to stay in bed all day.

I figure out that the most important thing was to get to the exam in good health, so during those days prior to the exam I just studied a couple of hours a day.

The day of the exam

I woke up feeling like shit. My roommate told me that I looked worse than the previous days. I had the exam scheduled for 5pm. I spent all day in bed till 2 pm and after lunch I took a hot bath. This helped me relax (I would advice it to anyone taking Gmat). I didn't take any medicine during the whole day.

When I started the AWA I decided that I needed to save my energy for the Quant and Verbal part so I just completed the essays without struggling too much to find the best arguments or to find the nicest words.

During the brake after AWA I took an Ibuprofen (painkiller). I knew that it would start its effect after 30 minutes and that the effect would last about 2 hours. So I would be 'free' of headache from the minute 20 of the Quant part to approximately the minute 55 of the Verbal part.

Quant started well. In the 19th question I still had 36 minutes left- so 2 minutes per question...good. Don't know what happened but in the 29th question I had only 12 minutes left. So 12 minutes for 9 questions. I freaked out and started guessing most of the questions left. I did spend some time in the questions I thought might be faster to respond.

In the next break I was quite sad cause I thought that I had screwed it in quant. After washing my face and hands, I put my self together and I decided that it was worth it to give it a try.

Verbal started well too. However, when there was still half an hour left I felt so weak and tired. The headache was back and I had no energy. I even thought of giving up: "What a fuck am I doing here? Just wasting 4 hours and getting even sicker". Again, I decided that I had to fight till the end.

When I saw 720 I couldn't believe it, but there it was, the result of persistence and hard work. I can also tell you that this score gave me such a boost that the sickness went away soooooo faaaaast.

In summary, the advices I would give are the following:

- If you are thinking to retake the exam...JUST DO IT. With little study you can be sure you'll improve your score

- If you are sick before the exam, take it easy. It is more important to be healthy in the exam than to do too many exercises and CATs

- If you are sick the day of the exam do not waste too much energy in AWA and set that energy aside for Quant and Verbal. Plus, take your painkiller/medicine in the first brake.

- If you are thinking to give up. DO NOT DO SO. This is a computer adaptive exam, you never know how well it has gone so far

Material used: Official Guide 12th Edition, OG Review (Q and V), Manhattan SC, CR Power score Bible, BtG Flash-cards, Manhattan Fash-Cards, Gmat Prep 1 and 2, Manhattan Free CAT, Kapplan Free CAT, and so many articles and forum research from BtG. Pretty cheap and efficient (bought 3 books only)

Finally, thank you so much BtG for all the good advices I have received from this website

and...

good luck to everybody!!!
Congrats... Mate,

Its inspiring that you nail it with preparation of 5 Days... Awesome...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by makkwende » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks a bunch.this is really inspiring.I am taking the GMAT in ten days and it feels like i dont know anything and thinking of giving it up or rescheduling.Your email has put me back on track and i am gonna do it.

thank you and good luck with your applications
Rine x

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Dawgie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 am
Damn WHILE SICK!? You must be a genius. Congrats!