720 on first try after month of studying. Should I retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just took the GMAT and scored a 720 (Q48/V41), which is estimated to put me in the 94th percentile.
I plan to apply to programs such as Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Ross, and potentially Stanford.

While I am satisfied with the 720 overall, my quant scores are bothering me because I feel as though I could have done better, considering the fact that I rushed this in an effort to apply for an admissions counseling program. I've been told that being a under represented minority with a 720 is a good start, but I feel as though I'll be losing sleep the next couple of nights over the quant scores.

I am also concerned with my GPA. I received a 3.2 in Chemical Engineering at a top engineering school, and worked full time in college, so I am hoping that will cloud the fact. Also, I am an American of Hispanic decent, and I've been told that may help. I have also been working at an engineering consulting firm for 2.5 years since graduation.

Realistically speaking, is my GPA a deal breaker, and will retaking the GMAT provide any benefit?

Any input/criticism is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:05 am
Hi.

I am no admissions expert, but clearly you could move the quant score up a point or two without too much trouble. Also, don't neglect the verbal section score, which you could probably push up three to five points without too much trouble.

Four to six more section points would get you to somewhere around 750 - 780.

So there is something to consider anyway.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by guzmannico91 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 am
Marty Murray wrote:Hi.

I am no admissions expert, but clearly you could move the quant score up a point or two without too much trouble. Also, don't neglect the verbal section score, which you could probably push up three to five points without too much trouble.

Four to six more section points would get you to somewhere around 750 - 780.

So there is something to consider anyway.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:26 am
Hi guzmannico91,

First off, a 720/Q48 is an outstanding score, so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is almost certainly not necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]