720 but there's a caveat

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

720 but there's a caveat

by zpetrov » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 pm
I got a 720. I took two practice exams before. Other than that my only preparation was reading a book on number theory (not intended as preparation but it helped in some respects) and reviewing some geometry.

I thought I had studied a lot but in retrospect I almost didn't prepare at all. I never reviewed my two practice tests, just took em, did well and moved on. I also bought the Princeton Review GMAT prep book but really only used it to review geometry.

The question is... did I beat the GMAT? Is the GMAT the kind of exam you can get 40-60 points extra if you really really study hard (i.e. review every single question from practice tests, dissect every strategy, etc.)?

Just trying to decide if I should retake.

PS: Another consideration. On 2 practice tests I got 47 and 48 on verbal. On real thing got a miserable 42. So should I retake?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm
If I may, 42 is not miserable!

If you have a good profile with good unique traits and leadership experiences to talk about in your essays, 720 is very good.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)