720 (94th percentile)(Q 50, V 38)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

720 (94th percentile)(Q 50, V 38)

by thanosb » Sun May 09, 2010 4:22 pm
I just did it!!! Last Saturday I took the exam and I scored 720.
I believe that this is a pretty good score, but I would also like your opinion on that.
I graduated from Stanford University two years ago with a MS degree on Electrical engineering and since then I work as a product manager on a big IT company.
I am seriously thinking of pursuing an MBA in one of the top MBA schools of USA and Europe (INSEAD, Harvard, London Business School, IMD Lausanne).
Besides my current position I have a couple of months of full time experience in IT as well as a bit more than a year of part time positions.
Therefore, I would like to ask if a score like this is good enough for my applications or this is a show-stopper for me. I am not sure how much more work is needed to make a 720 become 740+ and if it is worth trying.....
Any ideas...? points?
Than you!
Thanos

PS: By the way, this website was a great resource to me. Great job.!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by DAYNE » Sun May 09, 2010 4:31 pm
a good debrief would be nice

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thanosb » Sun May 09, 2010 5:56 pm
My preparation started 3 months ago.
I tried to spend at least 10 hours a week, mostly on solving the questions provided on the Original Guide book. After I went through all the three books (Review, Verbal Review, Quantitative Review) I spend some time studying the flashcards that are available on the Preparation Material page of this website.
During the last three weeks I spent most of my time practicing on any available test that I could find. I tried simulate the exam process by taking at most 8 minute breaks between sections.
Unfortunately, only during the last week I made it to get 700 in one of the tests and 720 on another (both where part of the GMATPrep software).
Even under these results, I decided to make a try and take the GMAT.
I feel that this is a good score to pursue an MBA degree in one of the top MBA schools, but I would also like to have the opinion of someone more experienced on admission process.
I hope the above helps.

Thank you,
Thanos