710 - Should I Retake (Low Quant)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

710 - Should I Retake (Low Quant)

by ds17 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:14 pm
I took the GMAT a week ago and scored a 710 (Q44, V44). Normally I would be fine with that score (although I have been scoring 720/730 in practice tests). I am, however, rather disappointed with the quantitative score. A score of 44 places me in the 68th percentile.

How detrimental is this low quant score to my overall application? My upper-end in practice tests was 47/48, but I think test-day nerves got to me on a handful of the quant questions. I was hoping for a 45/46 at that point.

I am aiming at the top-tier B-schools (Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/Booth/Kellogg) but probably will not be applying for another few years. I graduated from a top-20 university with a 3.75 GPA in economics. Currently working in finance at a leading global tech company.

I realize my quant score is on the low end, but perhaps I can devote additional effort to other areas of my application (work experience, recommendations, leadership) if they can somehow overshadow this low score. Also, I am hoping the admissions officers can see a solid undergrad GPA and work experience in finance show as a sign that I am reasonably competent in real-world mathematics (most likely had a bit of an off day on the GMAT).

What do you think? Should I stay put with the 710 and not risk a lower score, or re-take in an attempt to boost the quant score? Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:51 pm
If I were you , I would be happy with the 710 and move on. Especially if you feel you other qualifications are good, I don't think a marginal 10 or 20 more points on the GMAT would offer you much benefit. I think your instincts are good to focus on the application and also on what you can achieve between now and when you apply.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ds17 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:43 pm
Bryant,

Thank you for the reassuring. I will certainly devote my efforts to the other critical aspects of the application. I just thought that it might make sense to test again given that I have a few years before I'll need to apply. Those are probably just lingering reactions to having taken the exam last week.