700 (Q47/V39/IR7) - Advice Please!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

700 (Q47/V39/IR7) - Advice Please!

by KenanGarrett » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:54 am
Greetings Beat the GMAT members! I've always read peoples' stories, and have looked forward to posting my own. I just left the testing center, wherein I received my unofficial report with the above breakdown: Q47, V39, IR7, putting me in the 89th percentile with a 700.

I'm now in a predicament. I want to be admitted to Harvard or Stanford, with UCLA Anderson as a backup. Obviously 720/730 is a median score at H/S, so I'm slightly below. Does the community believe I should invest the time to boost my score?

At Oregon State University I graduated in 2011 with an Honors Bachelors of Chemistry (4.0 GPA). I was the first student in over fifteen years to finish with that major and GPA.

Three days after graduating, I moved to Hollywood and became an actor. It has been an incredible entrepreneurial experience, having myself be the product that I am developing. Currently I'm the face of Lay's chips, I've been on Days of Our Lives, My Crazy Ex, The Ellen Show (where I performed a piano piece while hula-hooping blindfolded), and a few other national commercials. So, within just a few years I became a top 10% earner in the actor's union. I've landed Mandarin speaking roles, too (as Mandarin is my second language, but I could become more fluent honestly). On the side I run a tutoring company and also co-own a startup indie soundstage (a 4,000 sq. ft. production facility), as an outlet to balance my artistic and business endeavors.

Needless to say, I'm a wildcard candidate.

I believe getting an MBA from a top school and then returning to Hollywood could help me use my talents in addressing the new landscape of streaming content business models and declining union power amongst performers.

What do you think?

Thank you,

Kenan

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:46 pm
Hi KenanGarrett,

First off, a 690/Q47 is a fantastic score and it puts you 'in the acceptable score range' of all Schools that you listed, so you should apply without any reservations. As such, a retest might not be necessary. With highly competitive Schools, you have to have a strong OVERALL application AND you have to 'market yourself' correctly to each individual Program that you apply to. You certainly come across as an interesting candidate though, which is good. Since you're ultimately asking Admissions questions, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

If you're not planning to apply to Business School until this coming fall/winter, then you certainly have plenty of time to continue studying and improve your score (if you choose to retest).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]