700 on GMAT and I'm 19 :)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

700 on GMAT and I'm 19 :)

by aikomidori » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:42 pm
Hey Everyone :)

I just took the GMAT today and scored a 700 (48Q, 38V) and AWA 6/6 :D. I studied during my winter break (a bit more than a month) and improved by 60 points (my first diagnostic test score was a 640).

I wasn't born in the US, but I moved here when I was eight, so close enough :P I'm currently a sophomore in college doing a BS in biochemistry and because I entered college with so many credits, I have the opportunity to graduate with a BS and an MBA at the same time - so hey I tried it ;)

Honestly, I did not spend a lot of money on GMAT prep tools. I don't think that everyone could get away with that and what I did was very risky, so unless you have confidence in yourself, don't do it! :oops:

Practice Exam Scores - I don't have the detailed version, just the general score
[*] GMAT Prep1, no essay - took it cold - 640 (Q44, V35)
[*] GMAT Prep2, no essay - took after a bit of review - 670 (Q45, V30-something)
[*] GMAT Prep2, no essay - 680
[*] Princeton Review, no essay - the free test - 690
[*] Manhattan Review, with essay - the free test - 650 (Q46, V33)
[*] GMAT Prep1, no essay - 730 :D

I think my last GMAT practice test score was probably inflated because I recognized one of the passages and probably recognized a whole lot more, just I don't remember :oops:

These were the study materials I used:
[*]12th edition, official guide
[*]2nd edition, official guide quantitative review
[*]downloaded an online version of Verbal Guide Review
[*]downloaded the old version of the Manhattan GMAT sentence correction
[*]downloaded 11th edition of official guide
[*]downloaded an online version of the Manhattan GMAT word translations book (there were no other online versions :? :? )
[*]Spidey's sentence correction notes
[*]Sahil's sentence corrections notes

As you can see, I didn't buy many books, I just downloaded a whole bunch from torrents. I think the key to the GMAT is practice, practice, practice. The only time I actually studied for the GMAT was when I read the Manhattan GMAT sentence correction guide back to back about three times - I learned a lot from that book! That book is amazing! Other than that book, I just did about 20 each of two sections of the math and 15 each of each section of the Verbal. I also took notes whenever I learned something I didn't know. Like if there was some way of doing a math problem that would really help me, I wrote it down. or if i learned some new grammar technique, i wrote it down. I kept going over these at least once every 2 days, so that it was fresh in my mind.

The only part of verbal that I was really bad at was sentence correction, I didn't have much of a problem with RC or CR; Manhattan GMAT helped me a lot with that :)

Also I didn't participate in any of the forums, just randomly asked questions once in a while (that no one answered back to :().

On the test day, I didn't do anything special except for wash my face with cold water and eat pears and a peanut butter sandwich.

Everyone says that the verbal section is much harder on the real GMAT than in the official guide. I disagree. The verbal sections are the same, it might just seem harder because you're tired and your concentration is down the drain by the time you get to the verbal section. So folks, don't worry, if you have good stamina then the verbal section will be just as hard/easy for you as the official guide is.

If I can do it, then you definitely can :D
Last edited by aikomidori on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by asherman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 pm
wow! Great Job! YOu give me hope:)

by aikomidori » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 pm
that's awesome :D

are you making so many posts for the gmat giveaway? just wondering...

by Concordio » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:53 pm
great post...any way you could pm me on how to get the files you downloaded? I'm not great with torrents; I usually get files from forums where people post on rapidshare, megaupload, etc. Any help is appreciated!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:55 pm
@aiko

Great post..

congrats by the way !! ;-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Yume » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:48 pm
great post !

Thank you have gave me the hope.. I will follow the same books which you were gone through.

by aikomidori » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:13 am
I'm happy my post has helped you :D:D

@concordio...unfortunately I cannot do that :(, cause if a person who actually wrote the book and stuff catches me, i'll be in big trouble X__X just know that it's out there..and i downloaded it about 3 weeks ago, so it should still be there :)

by Concordio » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 am
I completely understand. Thanks for the info though!