700...How are my chances?

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

700...How are my chances?

by briangtsmith » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:55 am
OK, I finally took the GMAT! Ended up with a 700 (42Q/42V) and expecting a 5.5. or 6.0 AWA. SO relieved to be done with that ordeal!

I told myself that, if I scored 700+, I would apply to more competitive programs. As such, I've narrowed my selection down to the following 9 schools:

Uber Elite
Harvard
U. Penn

Elite
Northwestern
Yale
UCLA

Almost Elite
Emory
Georgetown
UT-Austin
USC

Is 9 too much? I don't want to tire my recommenders, and need to make sure I have enough time to make each application great.

Would appreciate any thoughts and help!

Stats

Male, 26 years old at matriculation
American, Caucasian
UG: Top 50 University with 3.27 GPA
EC: Campus leader in several clubs

Studied Abroad in Japan, Fluent in Japanese

WE1: Hotel Manager at Fortune 100 Corporation with 20 direct reports
WE2: Hotel Manager, later Night Manager, at re-opening of world famous luxury hotel with 20 direct reports
WE3: Property Manager, then promoted to Asset Manager, at Japanese Real Estate Firm. Proposed new division, which was executed and I was given responsibility for it. Speak Japanese on daily basis at work.

Goal
Get MBA to pursue career in hotel development. I have strong hospitality leadership background, international experience, and have delved into real estate, so I feel I possess a strong profile.
Last edited by briangtsmith on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:32 am
I am assuming you are looking for a strong General Management program. If so, the listed schools look reasonable. It will definitely help your chances if you can score towards the higher end of your practice GMAT range. Ideally, you want to be towards the top of the school's 80% range of GMAT scores. Was your hospitality experience a series of internships or did you actually change jobs? If so, why?
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by briangtsmith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm
Updated, thanks all for your help!

Scottie- thanks for the post.

My jobs and reasons for leaving are as follows:

The Ritz-Carlton
- Intern and Lobby Greeter (front line positions)

Disney- Guest Service Manager
- Left b/c my position had a terminating date and I was unsure what would happen. Starting applying to other jobs and signed with The Plaza.
- Learned next day that I had been chosen for a permanent position at Disney but...already signed!

The Plaza- Guest Service/ Night Manager
- Left b/c I realized real drivers of hospitality industry are the owners, so interest in real estate development ignited
- At same time, received call from a Japanese real estate company
- I speak Japanese, so seemed like a good opportunity

by briangtsmith » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:30 am
Updated with actual GMAT...thanks all!