690 but solid credentials - Retake? Thanks for Advice

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I just took the GMAT today and got 690 (Q:40, V:45). I'm aiming for a top 5 MBA program, so my score isn't the greatest for that, but my other credentials are solid. I graduated double major in engineering and finance with above a 3.9 from a top 5 engineering school and top 10 business. I've always been good at math but for some reason GMAT math just never clicked with me, as seen in my quant score. By the time I apply for grad school, I would have had experience in a top bulge bracket investment bank. So even though my quant score is low, would my performance in engineering make up for that? And given the mediocre score of GMAT, would it hurt me if other parts are strong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by D Terman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:56 am
Short answer in my opinion is No....

I've heard that you should only retake your GMAT if you believe you can improve your score by 50+ points and from looking at your credentials I don't think the extra effort would make a significant difference.

Eventhough you are slightly below the average of the top 5, I would be shocked if anyone were to refuse your admission based on a GMAT score that is just barely under the 700 mark.

If I were you I would focus on your applications. Also, given that you have an engineering background, I don't think anyone would question your quant abiliites.

Best of luck to you!

D Terman