680. Gotta take it again.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

680. Gotta take it again.

by ratindasgupta » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:32 am
Hi everybody,

gave the GMAT this evening. 680 (Q45, V38)
Was thinking will come victoriously and make this post. Wasnt meant to be.

the exam started well. The first 20 quant questions were really easy and that got me a little worried. Kept checking the answers and that ate into my time. By the time the probability questions came in, i was way behind time. Had to guess on atleast 5 questions in the end. That obviously contributed to the low score.

Verbal section was again nothing to write home about. Overall, if i'd saved a little more time in maths, i would have sailed with a good score.

What really gets my goat is that i was really doing well in the practice tests. Got 760 and 730 in the last two Princetons and 760 in the last GMAT Prep. So i was fairly confident while sitting for the test.

Now i'm really confused coz i intended to apply to colleges like columbia, Chicago, Cornell, Duke, etc. So i'm not sure i stand a fighting chance now. I have 4+ years of experience in mkting/communications. Acads are so-so.

Should i retake it? I'm sure i'll be able to pull off atleast 40 more points.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by beny » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:05 pm
guest wrote:what are you kidding me? 680 is still higher than many at those schools. you are just used to the overachievers on this forum that think a 760 will get them in meanwhile it could very well hurt them. a too high of a score some times they reject you for it
:roll: they'll never reject you for having too high of a score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 am
guest wrote:think about it:

those that score that high either studied way too much, or over emphasized that part of their application because of weeknesses elsewhere. If i was admissions committee dean, I would reject them as well.

Half the people that score that high probably can't even function in the real world without a book anyway
You're right in pointing out that the GMAT is not the only factor that admissions committees care about in your candidacy. That being said, this fact should never prevent you from trying to get the highest possible score on the test. I agree with beny that a high GMAT score never hurts.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 am
ratindasgupta:

If you feel confident that you can earn the extra 40 points on your next GMAT, I say go for it. I believe it won't hurt you.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by ratindasgupta » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:58 pm
thanks for your comments. Over the last two weeks, beatthegmat has been a great study companion. i really wanna thank everyone, especially Eric for keepng this show going.

After mulling over it for a day, i've finally made up my mnd to give it again. I do want to give it quickly (within the next 5 weeks) coz i dont want to completely lose momentum. So i'm gonna have to give it in another city :cry:

Be that as it may, i'm just gonna have to suck it up and do it.
Writing my essays in the meanwhile. Trying to make it before Rd 1.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mojomover » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:36 am
Could you look it up and let us know where you read that. Also if that is indeed the case, why is your target gmat score 800 :p
guest wrote:yeah they will,
I know for a fact columbia automatically rejects people that have a 780 - 800. Look it up.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by beny » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:38 am
mojomover wrote:Could you look it up and let us know where you read that. Also if that is indeed the case, why is your target gmat score 800 :p
guest wrote:yeah they will,
I know for a fact columbia automatically rejects people that have a 780 - 800. Look it up.
Just ignore him. What he's saying is completely fabricated. I know many people with 780s who got into Columbia.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:12 am
Yup.. I agree with beny too ...

... it is quite absurd to think that B-schools will reject your application bcoz you have a high GMAT score :roll: ...

..btw i too know about a couple of guys who have got into Columbia, Wharton with a high GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 pm
All the best for your 2nd attempt, Ratin :)

The bettter you score, more your chances will be. That's general rule; rest all depend on your overall app. package & story.

:thumbsup:

Let me give you guys an illustration: If I score 770 & got rejected from a b-school; it's not because of my high GMAT but because of other weak areas of my application package.
If I'd score less than 770 with SAME (rest) application package, I'm 100% sure that, I would be rejected.

by AlexFromBrussels » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:53 am
Fred: "I know of a friend who got a 780 on his Gmat and got rejected from Columbia. I also know somebody who got a 750 and got accepted. That must mean that is is easier to get in to b-school with a lower score".

Mary "Fred, you're a moron. There are many other reasons that could explain why that person was rejected and one example does not constitue a rule"

Which of the following would strengthen Mary's argument:

a/ on average, with the same profile, people with a 780 gmat have a higher chance of getting in that people with a 750 gmat.

b/ Besides his friend, Fred knows of two more people who have not gotten in with a 780 gmat !!!

c/ Fred got 370 on his gmat and bears a bit of a grudge

d/ Fred is a real moron.

by erdnah » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:06 am
is it e?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:17 am
erdnah wrote:is it e?
ROFL :lol:

by AlexFromBrussels » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:44 am
Yes, you're right. It was secret hidden answer e! Well done, a 800 gmat for you. I guess that means no b-school for you. :wink: