650 (Q 42 / V 37)...planning to retake !

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

650 (Q 42 / V 37)...planning to retake !

by ahmad.kadry » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:20 am
Hi all,

First, i would like to thank everybody on this great forum, it really serves a purpose and it is of a great help to anybody who is willing to take the GMAT.

I just took my first GMAT yesterday after 2 months of perparation, the total score corresponds to 80 on the percentile rankings but separately to 81 for verbal and 63 for quantitive :( ...

During the preparation i took 4 manhattan practice tests and the 2 GMATPrep tests... i consistently scored 630~640 on the 6 exams, my weakness was the quantitive part and my two problems used to be primarily solving 700-800 level questions and paying enough attention to small details on other questions, so i came to a point that i wanted to experience the real exam day hoping that the situation might push me to be more focused and do my best.

The weird thing is that, during the practice tests, i always felt what were the difficult questions i faced or failed to answer within the quantitive section, but on the test day, i didn't have this feeling, on the contrary, i thought i did extremely well, i didn't run out of time and i had to guess only three difficult questions. Actually, i came out of the quantitive section hoping to do as well in the verbal; for my surprise, the result came absolutely oppsite to what i expected (and similar to what i faced during the practice tests :) ), and it just disappoints me not to know what did i answer wrong since i didn't really feel that the questions were difficult !

Having mentioned that, i am seeking any advice on how to improve my quantitive score and what might be a good source for 700-800 level questions that i can use for practice ?

Also, i would like to mention that i am targeting european schools such as IMD, Insead and IE. i noticed that the average score for these schools falls between 670 and 680, although i am a little bit below average, i don't have a balanced score that is required by any school. Although i am really eager to beat this exam and i feel i can do it, i also need to take TOEFL and complete the rest of my application essays. So, my second question would be if there is any chance i can get into one of these schools if i couldn't find enough time to retake the GMAT?... i don't have a business or financial background, i have 6 years of IT experience, i come from Egypt and i have lived, worked and dealt with clients in different countries within the middle-east, europe and the US, i am not sure whether this can be of any help to my application given that b-schools always mention that GMAT shouldn't be the only concern for applicant.

I would appreciate any feedback on my first and so long post.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:22 am
With 6 years of experience & 650, you can surely get into a school you want. Good Luck!