630, retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

630, retake?

by sikoeffect » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 pm
I took the GMAT for a second time and improved my score by 60 points from the first go around. Though I'm pretty sure that I could probably improve, especially in my verbal score, is it really worth the $250 to retake the test or should I just focus on making the rest of my application stronger?

I hope to get into a top 30 program and beyond my GMAT score, I'm confident that I can produce a strong application (high GPA, work experience, etc.).

Please advise, thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:57 pm
I would agree with you. If you are able to ascertain that the score is not going to pull you down, you should definitely concentrate on other aspects of the application. Check the average scores of your target B Schools.

I have seen GMAT experts comment on this forum that any improvement of over 100 points is very difficult to achieve. Considering that you have already improved your score by 60, you may probably be able to push it by 30-40 points. You could consider this in your decision making process.

Hope this helps

Prasanna