630! (Q44,V34) - Taking it again..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

630! (Q44,V34) - Taking it again..

by rashvi » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:36 am
I scored 630 - I was expecting a higher score and I believe I can do better than this.

Planning to take it again..

Can someone please suggest some sources for timed tests as I have already done most of the tests from PR and GMATPrep?

Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

800score

by aim-wsc » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:24 am
try 800score.com
4 sim CAT GMAT test.

they are confidence booster. and also provide good simulation even i had a thought of purchasing the package.

and btw you forgot KAPLAN :lol:

would tell us how do you approach the test? it ll be helpful to our readers.
tell us your test experience too that ll be good.
i dont think its a not bad score anyways.
thank you

by Dumbgunji » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:15 am
I think the Manhattan GMAT is a great source. It's cheap too! Just buy one of their topic books (any topic your weak in) and it gives you access to 6 simulated CAT tests, and 4 non-adaptive tests. Best part, the breakdown afterwards, is really helpful in analyzing how you should study.

I just took my GMAT this Saturday w/ the MGMAT & OG books(nvr took any coruses) and i scored a 750! So they are really good!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:46 pm
Dumbgunji wrote:I think the Manhattan GMAT is a great source. It's cheap too! Just buy one of their topic books (any topic your weak in) and it gives you access to 6 simulated CAT tests, and 4 non-adaptive tests. Best part, the breakdown afterwards, is really helpful in analyzing how you should study.

I just took my GMAT this Saturday w/ the MGMAT & OG books(nvr took any coruses) and i scored a 750! So they are really good!
Dumbgunji: can you please share your study strategy with us?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by rashvi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:54 pm
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Infact,time management and lack of stamina,I think, are the two reasons that failed me.

I struggled to concentrate at times (at times sleepy..sshhh)and guessed last few questions,which obviously makes me feel that I can do far better than this.This is definitely not my best performance.

I got 4.5 in AWA.AWA topics were OG type and I got enough time to complete those.

Quant was again like OG and GMATPrep with no suprises (expect all - geo/prob/perm/comb/rate/work and lot of DS)worth mentioning,but,I found verbal questions a bit tougher than that of OG ones(may be like the toughest of OG)or GMATPrep questions.

I think,success lies in taking the test with a cool head, without bothering too much about the test (take it as just another test that you used to take when you were in school.!) and having enough stamina to complete the test within the stipulated time.

Good luck all,I am sure you will do it good if you are confident about yourselves.I hope you found this useful..

My Study Habits..

by Dumbgunji » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:17 am
Length:
I studied from the beginning of October to mid january. Took the test in Mid-January.

Timewise:
I studied at the library 4 out of 5 weekdays (Usually took Fridays off to hang out with friends). On saturdays I would spend the day at the Library in the morning and take one GMAT exam at night. Sundays were off(woohoo!). Now to be serious...there was some variation to that depending on whatever was going on at that time, but I stuck to making up any time i lost.

Strategy:
I would keep a book with me whenever reading any study guide and write down any strategy that i wasn't already doing or i thought would be beneficial to me. So I first finished off an old Kaplan book I had lying around... as well as the Princeton Review book. Took about 10 pages of notes from the 2 books for stuff i needed to know and the strategies for certain types of questions.

I then took the Diagnostic test in the OG and spent about 2 days analyzing waht i had done. This was an eyeopener. I always thought i was bad at SC b/c they seemed so hard to me when I did them, but I learned I was amazing at it since I spent so much time on it, and I was quite weak in RC. With this in mind, i focused my studying for the next month on RC with the Manhattan GMAT specific book while still doing the rest of the practice tests and working on the OG.

One thing i reccomend for everyone taking the test is that you mark anything you guessed on or are not 100% sure on. My logic is that if your guessing, it is wrong and you need to review that topic, you shoudl never be guessing.

The week before my test, i took a vacation from work and took a test everyday and analyzed that test every night. Last day before the test, i watched 3 movies and ate alot of popcorn and slept early so I was refreshed during the test.

On test day, i went there with 3 cans of red bull. I drank on before the test and maximized each break to drink one more can. I also stood outside the test center (right outside so they can see you!) and got some fresh air and just relaxed...it was amazing to go back in b/c i still felt refreshed after the exam was over...

That's about it. If you guys have any questions for me, please do ask. I'm getting more active in the forums now that I'm working on my BS apps.