630 – When to start studying again?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

630 – When to start studying again?

by Has » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:05 pm
Hi Folks

I need your advice….

I scored 630 (Q35 V41). As you can see I performed poorly on the quant, in fact, what is really annoying is that my average is 39/40 on quant, and on my last GMATPrep before the test I scaled 43! So I screwed up on quant. I think if scaled my average on quant, at least, I would have walked out with 650/660… I think

The reasons are numerous, Actual quant was harder then in OG and GMATPrep, test centre stuffy I was hot and took a while to adjust my layers (mid section), scrap paper in London is rubbish (dirty form continuous reuse, unbound, A4 with 25% of each side, yes each side of every sheet covered with test centre logo etc etc), I was also poorly advised not to focus on Geometry ( I ended up getting 7 or 8 Geometry question, including first), and so on….all led me to uncharacteristically panic and to continuously think about cancelling the test there and then!

Why am I mentioning this, because I have a dilemma?

Do I let it out of my head and freshen up – say a couple of months (I have been preparing for several months and sick of GMAT) - then hit the OG books thus with answers forgotten (currently recognise answers simply by reading half a question - particularly verbal) or do it anyway and look at other material too - particularly with Verbal I would prefer more challenging stuff, any suggestions?

But the key question is timing? (I will be applying in 2010/11)

Thanks in advance
Has

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: 630 – When to start studying again?

by aroon7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:40 pm
Has wrote:Hi Folks

I need your advice….

I scored 630 (Q35 V41). As you can see I performed poorly on the quant, in fact, what is really annoying is that my average is 39/40 on quant, and on my last GMATPrep before the test I scaled 43! So I screwed up on quant. I think if scaled my average on quant, at least, I would have walked out with 650/660… I think

The reasons are numerous, Actual quant was harder then in OG and GMATPrep, test centre stuffy I was hot and took a while to adjust my layers (mid section), scrap paper in London is rubbish (dirty form continuous reuse, unbound, A4 with 25% of each side, yes each side of every sheet covered with test centre logo etc etc), I was also poorly advised not to focus on Geometry ( I ended up getting 7 or 8 Geometry question, including first), and so on….all led me to uncharacteristically panic and to continuously think about cancelling the test there and then!

Why am I mentioning this, because I have a dilemma?

Do I let it out of my head and freshen up – say a couple of months (I have been preparing for several months and sick of GMAT) - then hit the OG books thus with answers forgotten (currently recognise answers simply by reading half a question - particularly verbal) or do it anyway and look at other material too - particularly with Verbal I would prefer more challenging stuff, any suggestions?

But the key question is timing? (I will be applying in 2010/11)

Thanks in advance
Has
Hi Has

I can understand how you feel...
I was also screwed up in May end and was completely frustrated...
give two or three weeks gap, may be take a vacation, meet your friends or relatives and start again in full swing...

for 2010 intake you shd have taken the test atleast by april. checkout the deadlines for the colleges. most colleges accept unofficial scores.

All the best for your preparation!
--------------------------
i am back!

by Has » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:11 am
Last edited by Has on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Has » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:12 am
Thanks Buddy.

The Quant I think I will go through OG material, for Verbal do you (or anyone else) know of more challenging yet similar material?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by aroon7 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm
Has wrote:Thanks Buddy.

The Quant I think I will go through OG material, for Verbal do you (or anyone else) know of more challenging yet similar material?
you already have Manhattan SC guide??
i think a latest version has also come.
good one for SC prep
--------------------------
i am back!